Black Mountain

The greening of the mountains from Tanbark Ridge overlook, elevation 3175 feet, Blue Ridge Parkway, North Carolina. The road seen in upper left is the parkway as it continues northeast. Can you see the little houses, including my favorite, the red roofed one?

Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Original Center of Town


Have you ever seen a "center point" of a town?  The red sign on the lip of this monument says it's not an ashtray.  Notice how some friendly visitors have decided to use the rocks to chip away the monument.


Black Mountain, NC became incorporated in 1893, with one mile in all directions.

The way I learned math, if you go one mile out in all directions, that makes a circle two miles in diameter.  I wonder if that's true.  Somehow I think the "men" who did this survey made a square instead.  I've always been a trouble maker.

No comments:

Post a Comment

So glad to have your comments...whatever they may be. I'm one who likes to reply sometime or another, so others will see that; or you might happen back sometime and see what conversation might have started.