Black Mountain

Springtime in Black Mountain. Looking down from parking lot at Ceramic Studio to Sutton Ave and the railroad tracks.

Saturday, January 12, 2019

Hooker Falls changes

Different flow of water when I visited first in February 2009.  Notice all the rocks that show!




2019 flow much heavier.

Since 2009, many changes have happened.  More parking for one, portapotties for another. (And now I see they are building a real bathroom for visitors, but it wasn't open yet.) A footbridge for people to get from parking lot to the path which goes up to Triple Falls is also pretty new.

For all the 10 years I've been visiting (and not even every year) by driving the 50 miles from my home to that parking lot, there are some fun stories.  Like the February visit with 2 other friends, when I locked my keys in the car, and we waited and waited till AAA came to unlock the car, only to find they hadn't been in my purse in the trunk after all.  They were way down at the bottom of my back jeans pocket.  In the hour that I stood around, one friend at least slid herself around on the icy walk over to the river, but none of us made it to the falls that trip.  I was glad that she got to see the river at least, because I shared some of her "visits to water" in that year, her last in this lifetime.

2019, one of the men who was rafting over the falls!

This year I visited and saw 2 men go over in a kayak and a raft (respectively).  2 years ago I was with my son on his one day visit from Ohio...which certainly was a lovely thing...but a bit hurried of course. We tried waking up to Triple Falls, but I didn't have the stamina for that.  I had done it back in 2009 though!

I may try Triple Falls later in the year.  Who knows.





2 comments:

So glad to have your comments...whatever they may be. I'm one who likes to reply sometime or another, so others will see that; or you might happen back sometime and see what conversation might have started.