Black Mountain

Flat Creek greenways trail (known as Emilee's Walk) on March 13, 2024

Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Saluda NC day trip part 3

One of the two general stores was very welcoming.  Sam gave us information and was very friendly.  We skipped the second general store. At this one I did purchase some of their locally made jelly.

I was also attracted to a display of chickens.

These ceramic hens are all sitting on hay within chicken wire cages...
with a name on each door.


And a big rooster on top.



Miss Lola's photo, as well as a train, grace the walls.  She was the original motivation for the restaurant next door, where we had lunch.


This had not been our first choice but the Purple Onion was closed for rennovations, and when we had arrived at 11 am, the other restaurant had a closed sign as well, though it's hours supposedly did start at 11.

We will have to return because the Purple Onion is noted for good food.


Miss Lola's Diner posted this information for those who wondered about southerners.

Quote for today:


When you listen generously to people they can hear the truth in themselves, often for the first time.
Rachel Naomi Remen

5 comments:

  1. I'm in love with those chickens. I'll definitely have to take a trip there to see them and eat at the Purple Onion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good idea...I'm thinking a wintertime trip would be fun.

      Delete
  2. I like the look of these places B. I also like the decorative chickens.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like your display of chickens, specially the big Rooster.

    ReplyDelete

So glad to have your comments...whatever they may be. I'm one who likes to reply sometime or another, so others will see that; or you might happen back sometime and see what conversation might have started.