Black Mountain

The greening of the mountains from Tanbark Ridge overlook, elevation 3175 feet, Blue Ridge Parkway, North Carolina. The road seen in upper left is the parkway as it continues northeast. Can you see the little houses, including my favorite, the red roofed one?

Thursday, October 2, 2014

When considering retirement

I love Ronni Bennett's blog (Time Goes By) which asked yesterday about retirement, how it was in considering it, how it is now that I'm immersed in it.

I always thought I'd have so much time on my hands.  To finally work on various projects (arts and crafts, and maybe a book) that had been postponed "till I had time."

Nah.  I may still have 24 hours, but they fly past with the wind.



I do spend more time talking with and listening to my new friends (of the last 7 years).  I have one dear "gold" friend from high school with whom I email daily.

I miss my family; my children are spread out across the country and busy with their lives...and I don't have as much contact with them as I'd like.

I set aside a weekday to take a day trip, hoping less traffic and less tourists thus.  These can be long days if I chose to go a longer distance, or short half days in the area.  I love having company for these little trips...which makes the friendship more fun, as well as the driving is much easier.


Financial concerns have darkened my days and nights many times since retirement.  But that's nothing new in my life.  Why do I think this particular crisis is any different than the last, or the next?  Just because I'm going through it now, of course.  But when you're not having any income, it does make use of funds a much more limiting activity.

Health issues are high on my list of concerns.

But creativity has also been the highest point of my retirement life.  I have had the opportunity to do something that I dreamed of doing 30 years ago when I got a BFA in ceramics.  I can make things in clay!  And now I don't have to spend 40 hours a week at a job, nor make 3 meals a day for family members, nor drive others to wherever they want to go.  I'm totally my own boss.

And that's somewhat lonely.  The way I make up for it, is to have more friends.  And since I'm an introvert, I do like being alone a lot of the time.  Reading, working on my blogs, working on my ancestry materials, playing in clay, being in nature...these are some of my pursuits.

6 comments:

  1. It's very interesting to me to hear about your life, your thoughts, and how you keep yourself busy. Enjoy your day, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Much the same way, we travel on weekdays and generally stay at home on weekends. We are totally enjoying retirement every bit as much as we had dreamed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds like you have a very fulfilling life B. I enjoyed reading about how you spend your days. We are just starting out in retirement also, well about a year plus three months, and money isn't as plentiful and our days fly by.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I keep having to redefine who I am. I quit work and now I am back subbing in school. I need to be away from them but money seems always to be tight. I was given a potters wheel but I don't have a building to work in as of yet. I find that things will eventually sort out but for now I am still seeking and learning to live away from the 40 hours a day away from home.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It sounds as if you are living your life well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I read somewhere recently that there comes a time in a working person's life when they deserve to rest any time they want. So although we are busy retirees the luxury for me is to sit down and rest whenever I feel like it. Retirement is a time when we are selectively busy.Like you we can choose to follow our interests on our own time whenever we feel like it. You have lots of interests and your retirement sounds very fulfilling for you -- barbara

    ReplyDelete

So glad to have your comments...whatever they may be. I'm one who likes to reply sometime or another, so others will see that; or you might happen back sometime and see what conversation might have started.