Black Mountain

Springtime in Black Mountain. Looking down from parking lot at Ceramic Studio to Sutton Ave and the railroad tracks.

Friday, February 13, 2015

Geese return


Hello from one little duck by the lake.



My first sighting this year of Canada Geese...(remember I haven't been out much in the last month, so they could have been here a while).  I was looking at the dam where trees have been felled in order to (supposedly) dig out their roots and re-build a safer dam...over the next several months.







I wonder how the flocks of them will adapt when the lake is drained for work on the dam...but it's happened before, so I dare say they will figure out a way to nest and feed...those who have raised their families here before.



Today's Quote:


These are times in which a genius would wish to live. It is not in the still calm of life, or the repose of a pacific station, that great characters are formed.
Abigail Adams

5 comments:

  1. Growing up on a farm in southern Iowa, there were never Canada geese. We may have seen them flying over but they rarely landed. Now the geese don't fly south. We see them everywhere flying and floating on any available water. When it is iced over they sit on the ice and wait for an opening. I really like them and like how they look.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haven't seen any Geese here yet. It was 20 degrees here today with a mean East wind. Spring is a ways off yet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We saw Canadian geese today on a Bird Walk at Hard Labor Creek State Park.
    Happy to find you, my husband and I had or honeymoon at Fontana Dam. Is that near you?
    (This was a while back, in 1983!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I'm pretty near Fontana Lake...though I've only been to Lake Lure...which is a bit closer at Chimney Rock. I'll have to look up Hard Labor Creek State Park. Thanks for writing me!

      Delete
  4. I suspect the geese will be just fine. They seem to be quite resourceful.

    ReplyDelete

So glad to have your comments...whatever they may be. I'm one who likes to reply sometime or another, so others will see that; or you might happen back sometime and see what conversation might have started.