Black Mountain

The greening of the mountains from Blue Ridge Rd, Black Mountain, North Carolina.

Saturday, September 24, 2022

From chaps with a trophy to the Peace Corps

I do have children and grandchildren who took part in competitive sports...and in middle school at least they got trophies. They've since thrown them away, as they were plastic anyway.

This week's prompt photo for Sepia Saturday looks great for bicycling folks.


My son and daughter-in-law in Tampa/St. Pete FL are big ice hockey fans of the Tampa Bay Lightnings. So there's a cup worth taking a photo of!  They won their second Stanley Cup in 2020, the first US team to win during the pandemic...without fans in the stands!

Getty images

And when I went trolling for old photos of my family, I found these, which aren't at all on this theme. But it won't be the first time I wandered off the theme.


My youngest (on l.) graduated from college in 2001, then spent the next 2 years in the Peace Corps. Some of that time he was in the Blue Mountains of Jamaica, staying with this family and helping with various community projects.



He had already become vegetarian in college, so I hope he found enough nutrition in the meals Mrs. Sterling prepared for this family. Apparently they would be able to add the new addition to their house thanks to the room they rented to the Peace Corps volunteer...my son. He reported an abundance of Avocados on the tree in the yard, which he could just pluck off to eat.

Well, that's about as far from this Sepia Saturday as you can get!

Today's quote:

Kiss the Earth with your feet.
Print on Earth your love and happiness.
Earth will be safe
when we feel in us enough safety.

Thich Nhat Hanh

9 comments:

  1. ...the Peace Crop, what a great program.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laughing a bit at the typo...Peace Corps does have lots of jobs helping people with food, thus crops definitely! I think my son helped build a community privy in a little hut near the market area...and his main focus was on health. But he also helped the school paint a mural. I'll have to ask what else he did. But I know the family he lived with farmed carrots.

      Delete
  2. I'm sure he got enough to eat with carrots galore and all the avocados he could eat. They probably grew other things and perhaps had a few chickens. Plus they all look like they are far from skeletal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right, I never thought about how they look well fed. My son said that the mother had some kind of sickness, also not mentioned. They bought a stove while he lived with them. I guess a gas tank also.

      Delete
    2. Oh, I remember they did have electricity...so maybe an electric stove.

      Delete
  3. Hard to tell what way one's thoughts are going to wander off from the starting point sometimes! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, to be able to just walk out and pluck an avocado off a tree and eat it! My husband's family lived in southern Calif. and had avocado trees in their backyard! I grew an avocado plant from an avocado pit one time. It grew rather large so we planted it in the backyard and it got to be quite big. The problem, however, were with the leaves. They became very large and in order to keep the would-be tree from toppling over, we had to stake up all the leaf branches. Pretty soon there were so many stakes you could hardly see the actual tree! So we finally gave up on it. It wouldn't have produced avocados for at least 7 years anyway, so - oh well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't follow hockey, but I find it amusing that Tampa, FL, has an ice hockey team -- it seems like a sport for northern climes :-) I love the sketch. It must have been fun living right across from a dance hall. As for your concluding quote, I got stung by a bee in the garden today (ouch!) so perhaps the earth was not so safe on this occasion ;-)

    ReplyDelete

So glad to have your comments...whatever they may be. I'm one who likes to reply sometime or another, so others will see that; or you might happen back sometime and see what conversation might have started.