Black Mountain

Flat Creek greenways trail (known as Emilee's Walk) on March 13, 2024

Wednesday, September 28, 2022

The books I've enjoyed by this author

 Amor Towles


I just finished this, as an e-book. It finally was enjoyable for me. When I tried the audio, I was not happy with all the voices and different accents. But Rules of Civility did have clear character development, which then wavered a bit as the story progressed. A personality shift happened with one of the main characters, and it sounded for the best. The rest of the world continued on it's path, with everyone moving into and out of status, war, relationships, wealth and poverty. But I must say the ending was a bit of a surprise, and even (dare I say) a disappointment. After a week of thinking about it, I think I can say that. 

However when I read his first book as an audio, I love "A Gentleman from Moscow." There weren't quite as many voices described...but I did feel I knew each of the characters. Having it read by someone who knew Russian culture before the Communists, or just after the Revolution, it was delightful to find the memories brought back.

It reminded me of how times we live through change individual lives, as well as the culture. How each person decides to hold onto some things/ideas/practices, and how one copes with changes...all are brought out by the Gentleman and his friends. This gets 5 stars from me. Civility maybe gets 4.

And a last footnote, I tried several times to read Lincoln Highway, but the characters all seemed so mired in negative forces, whether against one another or just the play of the script, I just gave up.



Today's quote:

In those parts of the world where learning and science have prevailed, miracles have ceased; but in those parts of it as are barbarous and ignorant, miracles are still in vogue. -Ethan Allen, revolutionary (21 Jan 1738-1789)

10 comments:

  1. ...Rules of Civility, do they exist these days?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed both of Towles's books. And The Lincoln Highway too, though it did meander, and I wasn't best pleased with the ending.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never listened to an audio book, and I don't have the attention span to read books anymore... so I do miss out on a lot of interesting stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are still lots of ways to experience new things/ideas - and I'm sure you're already doing them!

      Delete
  4. I loved "The Lincoln Highway" and so did my Book Club. But I haven't read any of his other stuff so I might like that even better. I'm not auditory so audio books would allow my mind to wander too much. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, but I might have been sick or something, and could listen to a little bit at a time of the Gentleman in Moscow. It was long also, like Lincoln Highway.

      Delete
  5. I have read all of his book. Each different but great writing throughout. Try Lincoln Highway as a read not as an audio.

    ReplyDelete

So glad to have your comments...whatever they may be. I'm one who likes to reply sometime or another, so others will see that; or you might happen back sometime and see what conversation might have started.