Black Mountain

Lake Tomahawk, May 8, 2024

Saturday, September 23, 2023

Happy Mabon, the equinox of fall (in the northern hemisphere)

 

The wheel of the year in pagan/old agricultural calendars shows an equinox as the arm to left of center, where a moon/sun are indicated...before the next cross quarter celebration of Halloween/Samhain.

An old post (2016) gives this greeting...


This year the equinox happens on Saturday, September 23, 2023, at 02:50 A.M. EDT!

It isn't something to get up in the wee hours for...no fanfare of astronomical delights. But rather, fall equinox is a time of balance, turning from all the bustle of summer to the earlier nightfall, this is a time of becoming quieter.




Woman walking on a Forest Trail, by Vasily Polenov, 1883



May your fall equinox, Mabon, be a time to celebrate the changing seasons, of our lives constantly changing...perhaps following a spiral path rather than a straight path in our own chosen direction.

13 comments:

  1. Happy Fall! I am looking forward to seeing some pretty Autumn colors and trees. Have a happy weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This has always been my favorite season...the drier cooler days with warm sunshine to walk in fallen leaves!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. yes, it is. It reminds me of walking in fallen leaves.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. The agricultural year follows the seasons (somewhat) of the solar positions, so at Equinox there's a second harvest to celebrate. And putting up things for the winter begins.

      Delete
  4. It's official. Meteorologically, fall is very short here although astronomically it lasts for three months.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I would guess northern and western Europeans may have come up with these celebrated dates from solar observations. The "first day of summer" is always well into summertime for me. And winter will definitely be upon us before the solar solstice.

      Delete
  5. I love the time of equinox, the balance of light and darkness. That painting is so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did like that painting too. I'm finding my day is getting so much done unexpectedly. Wonder if that's just me.

      Delete
  6. Autumn blessings to you. It's a lovely time of drawing inward, both physically and mentally. Spring is my favorite season but Fall is close behind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think Spring in North Carolina is really wonderful...and I always look forward to it. I guess fall has a historic connection to returning to school, whether as teacher or student...which was always full of new beginnings.

      Delete
  7. Your header is lovely and so is the painting by by Vasily Polenov.

    ReplyDelete

So glad to have your comments...whatever they may be. I'm one who likes to reply sometime or another, so others will see that; or you might happen back sometime and see what conversation might have started.