Black Mountain

The greening of the mountains from Tanbark Ridge overlook, elevation 3175 feet, Blue Ridge Parkway, North Carolina. The road seen in upper left is the parkway as it continues northeast. Can you see the little houses, including my favorite, the red roofed one?

Sunday, November 17, 2013

They haven't got the right sign up yet.

You know, the one that says Barbara Rogers slept here...

But this is the turn-off, really a driveway, which apparently the people who live there believe is a road.  As in many turn-offs and driveways, it's steep.

I used to live in a one bedroom basement apartment on this corner.

There was one wall of the living/dining area completely glassed, thus giving a private view of the patio and mountains and making it a sweet place to live.  (I sneaked these pictures on a sunny day, but since there were cars in the driveway, I knew the people were at home, so I was in and out fast.)

I believe the people upstairs probably had a bit more fun looking out, as well as using a great fireplace.  I had roughly 2/3 of the basement area, as well as a storage area adjacent to the garage that held one car.  I stayed there a bit over a year, and upstairs at least 2 tenants' families.

There were strange set-ups, like my having a full laundry in my kitchen area, and the upstairs people having a stacked washer/drier downstairs tucked into a closet on my level.  I also had a zillion cabinets and counters, because the space had been designed for a workshop at one point.   The main difficulty I had was sleeping next to the furnace/air conditioner (in my closet) which was managed by an upstairs thermostat.

 I gave up control of my life only so far when I retired.  Fortunately one of the upstairs families preferred not to use the air conditioner/furnace much, and I had a small window unit to combat the dampness in a basement...as well as a portable heater.

2 comments:

  1. Back in the day, I lived in a few apartments as well. It made me really appreciate it when I finally got my first home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like rather close quarters. Thanks goodness you had a view of sorts.

    ReplyDelete

So glad to have your comments...whatever they may be. I'm one who likes to reply sometime or another, so others will see that; or you might happen back sometime and see what conversation might have started.