Black Mountain

A grey spring day at Lake Tomahawk, Mar 22, 2024

Monday, February 24, 2014

Neighbor's fires

There are house fires in Black Mountain as I type this.  I hope they are under control.  Two houses on Skyhigh Drive, east of town, right above US 70, according to WLOS news.  I have a friend who lives in that neighborhood.

As I came off I-40 from Asheville this afternoon around 4:00, the clouds of smoke were billowing in the wind...and it was terribly gusty just driving down the interstate.

 But it's dark out now, and I'm hoping I'm not smelling smoke drifting into town, so I poked my head out the door to check it out, now that it's 7:30 pm.  Smells ok for now.  My friend lives on Old Toll Rd, and several of the comments on line say the fires are on Old Toll Rd, not Skyhigh Drive, which is further up the mountain.  (I checked Google Map to see where they are.)

Here's the story which was broadcast at 7:30 pm, with live coverage saying one house has been totalled, and the second house fire is being fought, as well as brush fire leading to a third house.

Since I don't have permission from the local news station  WLOS, I just link to their broadcast.  I'll be checking again at 10 to make sure the fires are reported completely under control.

Did you know my youngest son was a wildland firefighter with the Forest Service, until he returned to art school to get a MFA in Ceramics?  True!

2 comments:

  1. You must be very proud of your son for his service to the wildland fire forest service. And then to go back to school, a very impressive young man. It is always very sad to hear of someone's house going up in flames. I hope they are safe and not harmed. We had a terrible fire in our neighborhood a few years ago, the home was burned to the ground. Fortunately the family were out but they left their dog inside the garage. The fire triggered the garage door to open and the little dog was able to escape. We found all this out about a week later. I hope everyone is okay out there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just feel so sad when people lose their home to a fire.

    ReplyDelete

So glad to have your comments...whatever they may be. I'm one who likes to reply sometime or another, so others will see that; or you might happen back sometime and see what conversation might have started.