Black Mountain

Lake Tomahawk July 24, 2024

Sunday, July 7, 2024

Poor sales at the Market

 It's really hard being next to a good bakery booth, where there are constant lines of people purchasing the goodies. We had one sale, a beautiful vase made by Cathy, who couldn't be at the market.



Amelia's flowers and her pottery, with the breads of the bakery in the background.



Coming home to see my kitchen window, such a relief.

I had a great difficulty with coughing at the market today...which leaves me pretty wiped out. I'm not sure I can keep doing this every week. Am talking with friends who are part of our little co-op.

Cathy's green vase (it looks yellowish here) with little  leaves painted on the side.  (not the green bottle with the white stripe.)

Note: This post is not a whining complaint. It's a realistic look at how things are, and my thinking that things need to change. What can  I change?

Today's quote:

"No woman should say, 'I am but a woman!' But a woman! What more can you ask to be? Born a woman — born with the average brain of humanity — born with more than the average heart — if you are mortal, what higher destiny could you have? No matter where you are nor what you are, you are a power." Maria Mitchell, astronomer, professor

17 comments:

  1. ...does the heat affect sales.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the competition of two other potter's booths now hurt sales, actually.

      Delete
    2. But my fellow Mud Buddy said last year the weekend after the 4th also had no sales. So maybe all those people (and there was a steady stream of them) didn't have the interest for crafts.

      Delete
  2. When I did farmers markets, it was the food and drink related items that sold best when next to food stalls

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right, and we knew that it would mainly be tourists to the area that might consider gifts to take home, to have good sales. I guess our customers (the regulars) have gone to the other 2 pottery booths.

      Delete
  3. Sorry, to hear your sales were down. People do love the baked goods.
    Take care, enjoy your day and have a great new week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too. My breakfast is fresh from right next door.

      Delete
  4. Shows are a crap shoot, even the high end art shows. Like Gwyneth said, if it's a farmer's market people come for food and crafts are an afterthought.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes indeed. We are sure an afterthought. Out best sales are baking dishes, but I haven't made any in ages. I really just want to sell things that have been sitting around since before the pandemic.

      Delete
  5. That stinks especially being close to a bakery booth. Maybe as you move away from the holiday, the sales will get better.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so sorry for this. No, you aren't whining. I think I am, but then I like to write and process what I've been through. It also helps me to see that a lot of goo things happened. I tend to be depressed. sigh. Good luck with all this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much. Yes we do have our ups and downs. Glad you understand.

      Delete
  7. You are realistic, Barb. But I know it is disheartening. I hope sales pick up next week. But most importantly, don't overtax yourself, especially in this heat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks - very good advice. I heard someone say that it was like being inside a sponge to be outside in the heat and humidity. Mmmm, perhaps we need to think of little breathing apparatuses as a common thing like masks.

      Delete
  8. That vase looks greeny-yellow to me this morning. Between camera interpretation and monitor setup, I often wonder how my photos look to others.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the way it is on my monitor too. But it's more spring green before the iPhone camera took it, then processed it into Microsoft and then Google Chrome, it's a really strange mixture isn't it!

      Delete

So glad to have your comments...whatever they may be. I'm one who likes to reply sometime or another, so others will see that; or you might happen back sometime and see what conversation might have started.