Black Mountain

The greening of the mountains from Tanbark Ridge overlook, elevation 3175 feet, Blue Ridge Parkway, North Carolina. The road seen in upper left is the parkway as it continues northeast. Can you see the little houses, including my favorite, the red roofed one?

Sunday, November 30, 2014

Milkweed by the road!


Driving out of the Altapass Orchard parking lot back onto the Blue Ridge Parkway, what did I spy but the elusive milkweed!

Had to stop traffic and take its picture.  This is the only plant that our area supports Monarch Butterflies to lay their eggs on, and which is eaten by their caterpillars.




Of course in the fall there's not much left but the tailtell seed pods.

I hope these plants continue to thrive here.  They are not Roundup resistant, and many farmers have killed them in the dusting of crops when the wind blows Roundup into the ditches where Milkweed used to florish.

Quote for today:


Hope is not the conviction that something will turn out well, but the certainty that something makes sense regardless of how it turns out.
Vaclav Havel

1 comment:

  1. The milkweed is one of my favorite wild plants. I love the lovely white fluff that bursts out of the pods at the end of summer. I even brought one from my field to Oregon along with my other dried natural plants.. Do you ever collect the stems with the open pods to hang in a dried arrangement? -- barbara

    ReplyDelete

So glad to have your comments...whatever they may be. I'm one who likes to reply sometime or another, so others will see that; or you might happen back sometime and see what conversation might have started.