Black Mountain

The greening of the mountains from Blue Ridge Rd, Black Mountain, North Carolina.

Saturday, September 11, 2021

Some more then and now shots

  

Carolina Foam and Fabric store, which had just a few customers every time I stopped in. I don't remember when it went out of business...but now it's housing some Town offices as well as the public works around the back. 

A few weeks ago there was a car show out front of the current town offices. The only signage is right on the glass doors. They kept the window awning treatment, but made them black instead of blue.

My friend Cathy selling her work at the Tailgate Market in 2014. Note the background...


Cathy at the Tailgate Market May 2021! Her pottery is much more cheerful these days!


And where the limo was housed in a shed before (in background of "then" with Cathy) now there's a nursery school!



Cathy and myself, 2014 at the Potters Market in Marion NC.





Friend Teresa at her 60th birthday party in 2019.

At my birthday lunch a week or so ago, 2021. I'm beginning to think once the hair turns totally white, each year looks pretty much the same. 


Helen and me, maybe Dec. 2017

Helen 2014

Helen in San Francisco in 2019

Sharing with Sepia Saturday this week! Come on over and see what other photos have been shared from collections all over the world.




Today's quote:

The wisdom that begins with surprise is the wisdom of a grateful heart.

BR. DAVID STEINDL-RAST

14 comments:

  1. Hello,
    Cute photos of you and your friends. The pottery looks pretty.
    Take care, have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Cathy's new fun pottery, and gave one of my son's family a bunch of it for Christmas last year.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. I was surprised how many photos I've taken of my friends!

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thanks, I am not sure they like these, but then they all look pretty darn good.

      Delete
  4. It's strange to be reminded of how time marches on when old familiar establishments like a favorite store disappear. Recently I was disappointed to discover that the World of Clothing discount store in Hendersonville had closed. They were one of the last places with real variety and fair prices. Fortunately for good friendships the passage of the years only makes them better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I think back (as all our news outlets have focused yesterday) 20 years ago, I had not yet met these friends, and the best friends at that time have sadly passed from this life. I guess I could have focused on them, but I have nothing to post about their "Now" of afterlives!

      Delete
  5. Love the pottery... both styles of it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Birthday, Barb! Great post on buildings old and “new” — and fun to see how they have been repurposed. My Junior High building is now a Credit Union, but they were kind enough to let me and a former classmate tour the building when were in town for a high school reunion. It’s always nice when an older building can be transformed for modern use. And so great to see photos of you, your friends and the pottery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so nice, that you got to walk the halls of your Jr. High again. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  7. I do love your friend’s pottery - especially the happy pieces. Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete

So glad to have your comments...whatever they may be. I'm one who likes to reply sometime or another, so others will see that; or you might happen back sometime and see what conversation might have started.