Black Mountain

The greening of the mountains from Blue Ridge Rd, Black Mountain, North Carolina.

Saturday, September 4, 2021

Then and now and a video

 





And last week I posted this photo from the past, so during the week I drove by and got the "now" photo of it.


Comments included the fact that apparently the tanks from the filling station are still buried on the property, and to have it renovated would include removing them.

I remember another old gas station that was right across the street when I moved here in 2007, and it was still selling gas, and had a little quickie market as well. I had been surprised to see the staff was a middle eastern family, and realized they needed more business. Within a few years they went out of business, and the town square park was built, while a parking lot was paved right where their station had been. 

I didn't notice whether their tanks had been dug out first. Just might not have gone through town on the day/days that happened.

Another small old gas station has been refurbished into one of my favorite restaurants, Thai Basil. It's at the other end of the several blocks of downtown Black Mountain.



And on another subject...fat. Here's an interesting video about "A Brief History of Fat, and Why we Hate it.



Sharing with Sepia Saturday this week, where all things sepia are interesting!




7 comments:

  1. Unless you had told me, I wouldn’t have noticed that the gas station and the house wife the same.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Photos of then and now are usually kind of sad - as is your comparison. I looked at your 'now' picture and see how much could have been saved and kept up and think - what a shame it wasn't. And a big thanks for including the video re: fat and how our bodies do and don't handle it. Very interesting! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here if a gas station goes under, the land has to be left alone for years before any new development.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sad to see the decay on the old filling station but at least the skeleton of a building remains. Building over "brown field" sites is trickier than it used to be. A lot of expensive testing and complicated mitigation is necessary to restore even small properties like a gas station. In June we were in Wash DC and had lunch at a similar antique auto mechanic/gas station that was converted into a brew pub. The food came from a mobile food truck parked on the lot. I guess that's how evolution works with urban architecture.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello,
    The old gas station and the after photo of the house look totally different. I see a lot of old gas station here are turned into coffee houses or cafes. I hope the old tanks are removed. Take care, enjoy your day. Have a great new week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am amazed that the first old gas station survived. My Italian ancestors had a filling station at one time, but all traces of it are now gone and replaced by an Italian restaurant at the back of the property. They must have dug up those tanks as well. Wonder if they excavated them to create Thai Basil. And thank you for the sobering reminder about fat. I will be skipping desserts for a while :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am amazed that the first old gas station survived. My Italian ancestors had a filling station at one time, but all traces of it are now gone and replaced by an Italian restaurant at the back of the property. They must have dug up those tanks as well. Wonder if they excavated them to create Thai Basil. And thank you for the sobering reminder about fat. I will be skipping desserts for a while :-)

    ReplyDelete

So glad to have your comments...whatever they may be. I'm one who likes to reply sometime or another, so others will see that; or you might happen back sometime and see what conversation might have started.