Black Mountain

The greening of the mountains from Tanbark Ridge overlook, elevation 3175 feet, Blue Ridge Parkway, North Carolina. The road seen in upper left is the parkway as it continues northeast. Can you see the little houses, including my favorite, the red roofed one?

Saturday, October 1, 2022

A collection of old photos

 

Happy First of October! And happy Sepia Saturday. Each Saturday, some of us bloggers find something of interest to share over at that site, either on topic from the suggested meme (see below) or something else that might harp back to older and perhaps wiser times...or not!


My older photos are borrowed from the internet.


Steamboats on the Mississippi, about 1906 (colorized.)

Two seater motorcycle in Paris 1922.


The girls rifle club at the Drexel Institute, Philadelphia PA, 1925


A Victorian home moving by horse power, 1908, Steiner St, San Francisco. 


Goat cart rides, Central Park, NY, NY, 1905



Toboggan rides, Bois Blanc Island, Michigan, 1903


1919 all the horse drawn wagons to deliver milk for the Phenix dairy (that's the way they spelled it) Houston, TX

Today's quote:
"Everything is held together with stories. That is all that is holding us together, stories and compassion." Barry Lopez, author.


19 comments:

  1. MacKenzie King is a surprise. I'm thinking of going to his estate tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh that would be interesting...I know nothing about him (being a typical American who hears minimal amounts of news from Canada.)

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Enjoy them. I also become somehow grateful for what I've got these days!

      Delete
  3. Barbara, Great old photos... Images like these are why I collect old postcards, most before 1920 with postmarks and stamps intact. As for venturing into your area, we came close on Thursday and Friday. With my wife's sister and her husband, who have been visiting us from St. Louis MO, we stayed in downtown Asheville and the ladies shopped until the guys were ready to drop. They didn't spend a lot but we walked for miles. On the way back we stopped in Waynesville...for more browsing/shopping. Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's ok. I had planned to do stuff this weekend, but ended up staying close to home. There are days that just happens. Glad you all visited Asheville and Waynesville.

      Delete
  4. Interesting images. The steamboats remind me of some of the old postcards I've been blogging about, and my travelling great-aunt Gerda probably saw many sights similar to the others as well! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so neat, connecting these sights with her life! I need to think more of my greats at the turn of the 19th century.

      Delete
  5. That photo of the house moving under horse power in San Francisco is amazing. I had no idea that sort of thing was done using horses. My heavens! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd never seen them doing that technique, using ropes around a screw.

      Delete
  6. This a fun medley, each with a story to tell. I like your quotation from Barry Lopez. He's one of my favorite authors and I've read all his books.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I also like that quote from Barry Lopez. That womens rifle team looks tough.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I imagine how difficult it must have been to shoot in those clothes. Puleeze. I think they got dressed up for the photo.

      Delete
  8. A great set of old images. I agree the moving house shot is amazing without the use of semi trailers and cranes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And then just thinking of jacking the house up...those many jacks under each wall...then somehow getting it onto something that could be roped and pulled...and then dealing with SF hills!

      Delete
  9. I love this selection of photos. The San Francisco house being moved is astonishing. I couldn't help wondering what they did as they descended that hill!

    ReplyDelete

So glad to have your comments...whatever they may be. I'm one who likes to reply sometime or another, so others will see that; or you might happen back sometime and see what conversation might have started.