Black Mountain

Lake Tomahawk, May 8, 2024

Monday, October 16, 2023

Going to Pisgah Inn last Sunday

 A partly cloudy cool day in Black Mountain. What would it be like up on Pisgah Mountain, an elevation change of at least a thousand feet..maybe more.

We drove up the Blue Ridge Parkway which had a little color in the leaves as we left Asheville going south...but up in elevation! There were some good bright yellows, oranges and reds as we went along, and we decided where we'd like to stop on the way back, at an overlook which had pretty colors in the trees as we passed on the way to lunch.

We arrived within a quarter mile of the Pisgah Inn to find clouds had dropped to 20 feet off the ground. Sometimes there was mist on the windshield. But driving was clear on the road at least.

It may have been 43, but that cloud sure made it colder, and did I mention the wind?

We kind of rushed inside, and were a half hour before our reservation for 3, but there were just 2 of us, so that changed our status. Nobody said for better or worse! 


We had no intention of going out on the deck while waiting!


So we wandered between the gift shop and the waiting area looking into the dining room. Finally my name was called and we were led to a table for 4 by the window! Wow. I'd never expected that.


These were our views



But we kept hoping the sun might dry it out a bit by the time we were done eating.



We actually got a glimpse of the sky over the mountains for a while, and the little colorful trees below us on the side of the mountain.


I had the small beet salad and my friend had a hamburger. I forgot to take a photo of the French Silk Pie, which was good as always...and I inwardly bemoaned the increased price. But I brought home half the salad which I'll have for another meal.


We did step on the balcony to take a few photos, but it was really really cold, and just a bit windy. 


While I took the obligatory selfie, my friend declined the favor. Now there is no record of J. having been there with me.

My un-retouched photo as it came out of the iPhone.

I did capture the pretty yellows as we left the restaurant.

Yes, people are renting rooms here, who go on hikes as well as enjoy the food. We even passed the camp store on the way out...brr, can't imagine camping on a mountain in this weather!


We rushed to the car and hoped the cloud/fog was just on the peak, and we'd be able to stop and get some better leaf photos on the way down. (Yes we did.)

Just a reminder to all women over 45 years old...including us over 80.


And another sweet reminder of the season. The rest of my photos will follow soon - at least I added some in the headers!

Today's quote:

Wanting to meet an author because you like his work is like wanting to meet a duck because you like paté. -Margaret Atwood, novelist and poet (b. 18 Nov 1939)

So sayeth an author!




11 comments:

  1. It's good to repeat a trip such as this. Unfortunately, circumstances were not in our favour this year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is a shame about the fog. The views started out beautiful, until the higher elevation at the Inn. Your salad looks yummy. Take care, have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We did find more pretty colors on our way down. I do like that salad. Hope you have a great week too!

      Delete
  3. ...those dogs are fun. Saranac Lake, NY has a small ski area on Mount Pisgah.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's such a strange name, and to think there's another Pisgah in NY!

      Delete
  4. It does look beautiful there even though there is fog. I'm glad you had a lovely trip and some very yummy food.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's always so beautiful, just driving on the Parkway and seeing nothing but trees and mountains!

      Delete
  5. There's another blogger in TN, Betsey, who has written about The Pisgah Inn as a place they go for a get away. I think I bookmarked it to visit but now doubt that will ever happen. Glad lunch was good though the view was not.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just beautiful, Barb, fog and all. I would love to stay in that inn. I really like today's quote.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful colours. I was able to take a trip for fall colours on the weekend.

    ReplyDelete

So glad to have your comments...whatever they may be. I'm one who likes to reply sometime or another, so others will see that; or you might happen back sometime and see what conversation might have started.