Black Mountain

Lake Tomahawk, May 8, 2024

Tuesday, October 3, 2023

I baked!

First, Dutch Apple Pie - and I had to do a grocery run to get the Butter Pecan ice cream!


 And while I was learning which pie crust would work in which oven (the toaster/convection oven or the big stove) I used another Marie Callender deep dish crust to make a quiche. Unfortunately I'd held onto the mushrooms too long, so it just has onions, carrot shreds and some beans in it...with wonderful cheeses! And the answers I found: toaster oven, even when cooking conventionally, is too hot for Dutch apple Pie, so it needed me to preheat the big oven and cook more slowly even at 400 degrees, so apples and bottom crust weren't burned. I did need to cover edges of both pies, and I should have cooked in the Toaster Oven at a lower temp than 350 degrees, so the top didn't get quite so crusty! But I'll eat 'em both!

Today's quote:;

There's no such thing as a dumb dog, but God knows there are continents full of dumb human beings. 

Rita Mae Brown, author, feminist.

16 comments:

  1. Hello,
    The apple pie sounds yummy, I love quiche too, I use the store bought pie crust. Take care, have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do remember learning (from my mother-in-law) how to make good pastry using (always) Crisco. My mom had taught me but didn't say it had to be Crisco. It definitely is better, but convenience often rules the game...thus store bought that can stay in the freezer for weeks!

      Delete
  2. Good for you. I start a pie at 450 for 10-15 minutes then switch to 350 for remaining cook time. Looks good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will be doing our annual autumn church run this weekend to get out pies. One will be apple. I forget about the other.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah...if only you were just over the mountain! Sigh. I finished that pie already, and have lots of ice cream left!

      Delete
  4. ...it's hard to beat an apple pie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had 3 huge apples, and they were different varieties, but they sure filled up that pie pan!

      Delete
  5. Oh that looks so delicious. I haven't baked a pie or quiche in such a long time. I think I may have to bake something soon. Thank you for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love having them in the fridge, providing meals and snacks for a long time for just the one of me! I did have a friend share the apple pie the first day trying it out. That was a bit cliff hanging, as I don't use recipes any more, and wondered if I'd put too much flour in. Apparently the juice from the apples did what it was supposed to, made great pie that wasn't too juicy or too floury.

      Delete
  6. Apple pie and ice cream, a great combo. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I may just look for more apples at the Tailgate market this Saturday. They are grown nearby and so are really wonderfully fresh. And then...

      Delete
  7. Both sound just delicious, Barb. I do love to bake!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't done so in a long time. But most of the ingredients were finally at hand...so there I went!

      Delete
  8. I've never been successful with pastry. These look yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Canadian Thanksgiving on Monday. I need to pick up pie tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete

So glad to have your comments...whatever they may be. I'm one who likes to reply sometime or another, so others will see that; or you might happen back sometime and see what conversation might have started.