Black Mountain

Lake Tomahawk, May 8, 2024

Saturday, October 28, 2023

Taking a walk

You've seen Lake Tomahawk before, which is my favorite walking place. But we finally have some color to share for Autumn has finally arrived in Black Mountain NC!  My current header shows some of the people who visit and walk around the lake.


Sharing this with the Sepia Saturday folks as well as an ancestor who was accused of witchcraft!


 
Building the dam which created Lake Tomahawk by CCC workers in 1936-7. I blogged about the dam as it currently stands HERE.  This week we begin a new month...so here's to the bridge between October and November!























I'll have more photos of this walk around the lake to share sometime later this week!


Though we mainly drove on the Blue Ridge Parkway, here are my cousins, Cindy, John and Chris at an overlook where the sign is missing!





Today's quote:

Brothers and sisters are as close as hands and feet. -Vietnamese proverb





15 comments:

  1. It looks like such a pretty place.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. I'm really happy to have this venue for walk-abouts, and taking photos!

      Delete
  3. Hello Barbara,
    Your lake is beautiful, I love all the fall colors and trees. It is a pretty spot for your walk. Great photos. Take care, have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. So glad you gather all the critter blogs today!

      Delete
  4. Wow, that first picture of the red tree is amazing. Is that a sugar maple?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's a maple, not sure if it's considered a sugar maple. Will have to look up how to tell.

      Delete
  5. That's a lovely place to walk--looks nice and flat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a dirt path, which sometimes has pea gravel on it...so it's got bumps and valleys. I find I cannot look at my phone and walk without feeling very shaky. So it's stop to do photos, or text. I like the feel of earth beneath my feet compared to the asphalt of the driveway. Now walking in a field...mmm, that's another thing. And up or down mountains! I envy those who can do that!

      Delete
  6. Oh, I would love to walk here - so lovely and beautiful fall colors. We have some pretty spots for color in autumn near us here in the foothills of the Sierras, but my daughter upstaged our area when she sent pictures to us of the fall colors she could see from her dorm room at UMASS. Reds and golds all over the place! (her dorm room was several stories up and she had quite the commanding view!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. beautiful autumn colours - we have the colours here in Scotland but not always such clear blue skies.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The lake is one of the best features in Black Mountain. A few years ago when we were looking for a wedding venue for my son and his bride we considered the facility there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And the greatest thing this fall, no geese. So no goose droppings. Still have Mallards, and they don't do as much grazing in the areas people walk, so it's much nicer. Not sure what they did!

      Delete

So glad to have your comments...whatever they may be. I'm one who likes to reply sometime or another, so others will see that; or you might happen back sometime and see what conversation might have started.