Black Mountain

Lake Tomahawk, May 8, 2024

Monday, October 23, 2023

Lake Tomahawk dam

 Here I am resting after the first leg of my walk. For most of the rest of the circumference of Lake Tomahawk, I would just take photos and catch my breath that way.  This walk was early Oct, before any of these trees changed much.


So as I skipped this bench...


And I huffed and puffed up the incline behind this dad and his two girls in a soft sided wagon which he could push,  while stopping to show them various things along the way.

I decided to feature the dam. The structure going out over the lake on the left is where the valve controlling the amount of discharge goes through a big pipe to the lower level beyond the dam itself, into the creek.

Looking down from the dam you see the opening of two culverts as the creek goes under the road. The release from the pipe under the dam comes out in that small depression right in front of the two culverts. 

And this is looking back on the dam from its other end, now lake to the right. 

 There is also a chute where water flows constantly down from the lake toward the culverts. Since the lake is fed by the stream on the opposite end, as well as runoff (which has been absent for weeks) and at least one weak spring, there is constant flow of water.

 Today's quote: 
Passive aggression is most often wielded by those who feel powerless and want to avoid their own true feelings.




14 comments:

  1. What a place to visit on a beautiful day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have been fortunate to have several beautiful days. A little voice at the back of my head says, just wait!

      Delete
  2. Beautiful views of the lake! It good you stop and rest along the walk. Peace and smiles! Take care, have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've enjoyed my walks, which may or may not really count as exercise. Though I do start to breathe pretty hard before I stop!

      Delete
  3. ...Lake Tomahawk is a treat. I remember when it was a construction site, it looks great now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my, so you were here in NC back then? Nah, maybe when it was redone a few years back...taking all the lovely trees off the dam. The lake itself was dammed up by the CCC between 1933-35. Please tell me you weren't around then!

      Delete
  4. You do take such beautiful walks there, Barbara. I love seeing these views.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks...I'm so glad to huff and puff and then stop to take a photo! Wait till you see my latest stream of them!!

      Delete
  5. I really like that last photo. You should use in in your header.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OK, good idea. So off I go to find the bigger resolution file. I reduce the ones in the blogs, so they load faster for folks.

      Delete
    2. Oops, I deleted that photo...with all the others I've been taking. I can try taking it again...since I have the copy here on the blog at least (smaller resolution.)

      Delete
  6. That sky! As they say, God must love the Tarheels--that's why He/She/They made the sky Carolina Blue.

    ReplyDelete
  7. looks like a lovely place for a walk. I would be stopping to take photos as well. Enjoy your week. And thankyou for visiting my blog this week. I hadn't heard of World Kangaroo Day before either!

    ReplyDelete

So glad to have your comments...whatever they may be. I'm one who likes to reply sometime or another, so others will see that; or you might happen back sometime and see what conversation might have started.