Black Mountain

Lake Tomahawk, May 8, 2024

Friday, October 27, 2023

Turn around and go back...

That was yesterday's lesson. I was supposed to have teeth cleaned in Asheville at 12:30. But at 12:02 I had a bathroom urge...so I left a few minutes late. Then by the time I got to the first exit on I-40, traffic was stopped on the interstate. So I though of getting off and going into town by the US 70 way...slower usually. But the exit cars weren't moving either. 

Rather than trying to rush through traffic to get there maybe 10 minutes late, (at the earliest they would still let me in today) I called and rescheduled my appointment, end of Nov. So now I turned around to come home. (I know they say we will be charged for visits if it's not cancelled at least 24 hours earlier, so I hope I don't have to pay for this visit I never had!)

Going back home, as I speeded up to get on the interstate at 70 mph, the truck behind me speeded even more and pulled over so he was blocking my merging. So I braked, what choice did I have. Then he apparently noticed me, and slowed to let me in. He continued to go as fast as he could (I'm assuming a big red pickup with a handicap plate is male). I was glad that I got off the interstate at the next exit.

Stopped to get gas and thought a car wash was a good idea. Nope, the lanes to the car wash were closed. A second turn around...

I then went to my neighborhood discount grocery store, Hopeys. I found some produce (at about twice last year's prices) and some coffee which I ground myself.  The cookie aisle had baking things like flour and such...no cookies. Then checked out and when I took my things out of the cart, there was the Romain-worth-gold sitting in the bottom of the cart. It hadn't been checked out. As an honest customer, I took it back inside and paid for it at $4.50 for 3 hearts of Romaine. Third turn around and go back and yes, I've got the message by now!

That's my lesson for today. Enjoying the trees which are just peaking now. And sun is making them really glisten. 

But I didn't pull over to take photos. I really was worried by now about safety!

It was warm enough to have windows open for about an hour.

---------------------------

And another thing...

I definitely live in a conservative country area

I base this opinion upon what these girls wore to the Prom this year at my local High School.

Such beauties...all wearing long dresses it seems. (Perhaps the girls in short dresses were put in the back?) But as far as I can tell, these 16-17 year olds look very demure.


This is my granddaughter and her friends dressed for their Homecoming Prom. They are all Juniors this year in a big Ohio high school.  This crouching pose, with accentuated derrière, was popular with them (while moms and dads took the photos!)


I'm glad nobody had the same color dress...they must have coordinated in shopping for them. But the hair styles are so - limited. At least a few of the girls in North Carolina did different things with their locks!


As my son, father of the prettiest girl said, "I bet your prom dress was bigger than a handkerchief," He was talking over the phone with his octogenarian mom! For my senior prom I finally had a strapless dress with plenty of stays and major amounts of cloth! And the fun was having a huge bow that draped down from the bust to the skirt, which was medium long. I didn't have much to hold up a strapless dress when I was 16, but the dress held itself up!

Difficult to discern, a cat on the porch with a turning head, and hanging bats also.




Today's quote:

Change can enter our lives silently, and this change can be just as important as change we have worked hard for.


10 comments:

  1. I like both sets of dresses, but your granddaughter's group does seem to be having a lot more fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There were certainly a lot of parents involved behind cameras, but the girls kind of enjoyed posing!

      Delete
  2. ...the clothes that people leave the house in!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, seems I'm posting more photos dealing with women's clothes at this time of year!

      Delete
  3. Could those skirts get any shorter? How do they sit down? You're right about the hair - all parted in the middle, no bangs and hanging limply. But what a day you had getting to the dentist.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had the same questions about the dresses. I may have worn mini-skirts...but we were able to cover ourselves somehow. Never got to the dentist after all! Sort of a day of backtracking for me.

      Delete
  4. The girls and the dresses are cute! Take care, have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Someday those crouching girls will look back and wonder what they were thinking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha, and then their daughters will show up in something closer even to nothing!!

      Delete

So glad to have your comments...whatever they may be. I'm one who likes to reply sometime or another, so others will see that; or you might happen back sometime and see what conversation might have started.