Black Mountain

Lake Tomahawk, May 8, 2024

Tuesday, October 10, 2023

Beyond Land Acknowldegement - Part 5

 These are my last photos and notes (except including Liana Costantino's slide) from:

"Beyond Land Acknowledgement: Toward Reparations and Healing"

Sept 30, 2023, Asheville, NC





Liana Costantino, Director, Tribal Alliance against Fraud, spoke of the Journey towards Allyship with American Indians. 

I was impressed by her speaking from her heart of her experiences, rather than showing her power point presentation (her choice.)  She was open to questions following her talk. 

One of the members of the audience was also an Indigenous person from another tribe, and she shared and had pointed questions. It was great to hear her views too.


On our next break we had frybread with different sorts of toppings, from honey, to sugar/cinnamon, to honey and powdered sugar. They were all delicious! Though of course I could only eat one.

Our final presentation was by Shannon Swimmer, JD, a Former Cherokee Tribal Judge, who gave us an opportunity to experience a "Reconciliation process using Talking Circles to Heal." 


After everyone was seated in a circle, she explained that when she was a judge, often sitting up on the bench in the black robes, the people before her wouldn't say anything. So she tried getting everyone to sit in a circle, and then they could respect each other and they could see they were equals, and so their views were shared together.



Organizer Pat Johnson sat next to her, and didn't want to share first, so I had to, being next in the circle. It wasn't too bad. I just said I was glad to be given the job of photographer as a volunteer. Then after everyone had gone around the circle (with the opportunity to pass) Pat shared last!


I was especially interested in hearing from these young people who attended the Conference.



Even the presenters got to share their experience of the day.





Before we broke the circle, Maggie O'Neill., our wonderful guide and organizer (of the 3) gave us some final words...and I expect that I'll be receiving emails of more.

 

Again, I'd like to give credit to the wonderful organizations behind the seminar. This was the last page of the program. And I believe all of these organizations were represented by some of the presenters and attendees.



A very big thank you in appreciation for an intense experience of information sharing , laughing, learning, and processing together. As I said to Patty Edgemon before leaving, "My heart is open from hearing what was said."


Indigenous People's Day was celebrated for the legal holiday last Monday.


7 comments:

  1. ...it's great to mark the day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I’m often uncomfortable with having to share something in a group. Probably one of the reasons I don’t go back.

    Your header is pretty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, the big group share. Well, some people said "pass". Glad you like the hydrangeas.

      Delete
  3. Hi Barbara, I've always been open to sharing my viewpoints or goals with others. These days sharing your viewpoints can be a real negative if anyone disagrees with you... As for reparations, I'm not sure how to address the issue but I do know that we have treated Native Americans very poorly. Of course one could say the same thing for Blacks and Asians... No easy answers. Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Having oneself heard with respect is often worthwhile. If there isn't a respectful audience, it does feel intimidating. Yes, all our racial issues are a white problem, and we're just becoming more aware of them. I say they are a white problem, because the minorities are really tired of having to be the underdogs in so many ways.

      Delete

So glad to have your comments...whatever they may be. I'm one who likes to reply sometime or another, so others will see that; or you might happen back sometime and see what conversation might have started.