Black Mountain

Lake Tomahawk, May 8, 2024

Wednesday, October 11, 2023

A concert at the Arts Center

Saturday night I went to a live concert of Irish/Scottish music by StrathSpan (with others!) I was fortunately on front row and enjoyed it to the toes of my boots! Jigging and nodding like many other toe tapping friends in sold out audience! At Black Mountain Center for the Arts,




There were no programs, but I plan to call the Arts Center and get the names of the musicians! They have them! Most were just introduced once, and then called by their first names. It was an intimate setting, after all.



The first added instrument was a small Irish pipe, wielded expertly by Katharine...


Next added instrument was Sue..., our local harpist, She was well known by the audience, and teaches harp locally.


Then we had the pleasure of all 4 of those musicians. I think they called themselves in that group the KirkDoon...which I may have remembered wrongly!



And the finale added the daughter of cello player, Pearl, playing a Appalachian fiddle style. Pearl had also danced a Scottish Step Dance which I recorded. I'm working on how to show you the clip of it! My latest adventure has been learning how to make YouTube videos out of my own videos.

Today's quote:

Flags are bits of colored cloth that governments use first to shrink-wrap people's brains and then as ceremonial shrouds to bury the dead. -Arundhati Roy, writer and activist (b. 24 Nov 1961)



8 comments:

  1. I am sure that I would have loved it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was so thrilled being close to musicians, haven't had that experience for a long while!

      Delete
  2. ...the forerunners of mountain music.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would have loved that concert! My very favorite kind of music. Tbe quote today is spot on.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I tried to leave a comment this morning, but blogger wouldn't let me. I'm hoping this works. I love the photos of that concert. It looks like a delightful time there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad this one came through. I usually watch to see if people's comments are lingering in a no-woman's land where they haven't been declared spam yet, but haven't yet posted either. Didn't see yours. I'm cutting back a bit on computer time to just morning and last thing at night.

      Delete

So glad to have your comments...whatever they may be. I'm one who likes to reply sometime or another, so others will see that; or you might happen back sometime and see what conversation might have started.