Black Mountain

Lake Tomahawk, May 8, 2024

Thursday, October 19, 2023

The window sills are changing

 UPDATED 10/19/23 morning...



Some of the more delicate flowers have already been pulled, but these dahlias still look good. I also pulled the Chinese Lanterns (after this shot) and have them hanging to dry.

The philodendron is happy all winter long, though it yearns for all that nice fresh air it had all summer under the shade of the maple trees. 

Thanksgiving cactus has buds, but may have difficulty blooming since I had to bring it inside. We shall see.  Poor ole orchid that needed repotting is sending shoots of roots everywhere, and looks like a bloom stem is also starting. 

The purple shamrock, the lavender, and the other rootbound orchid sit on the other windowsill in the living room. I told all the spiders to get off the plants before I brought the inside!

A sunny day lets me see the distant dogwood red leaves. Taken Oct 10.

And this week I saw my pulmonologist and was relieved to hear my lung function test was better than 6 months ago. We both discussed how wintertime is the hard time for me, and how I want to avoid pneumonia. I also asked him what prognosis this bronchiectasis has...how many more years since I've had it over 10 already. I spoke frankly, because I'm considering some dental work that's costly, and I hope that I can use it for at least 5 more years. He wouldn't commit, saying each case is so different, but he did think that something like 5 more years is sort of a good ball park. 

And yesterday's photos through these windows show autumn colors have arrived for the maples!




Today's quote:

Your very own inner wisdom should be valued more than any other and will always guide you in the direction you need to travel.



Think about it.

13 comments:

  1. Ah yes. This impresses me every year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello,
    Your plants are looking good, lovely views out your window. Take care, have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Only the ones who live in almost new pots come through the summer...bleached out so the white fly fungus is gone. Several were tossed today!

      Delete
  3. ...you have lovely windows to enjoy the view

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And all summer I live in the greenness of all those leaves filtering the light. So I dearly enjoy the orange days!

      Delete
  4. You have such lovely views there. I love seeing the fall colors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I am enjoying the colors, and can see little bits of the far ridge, which is my wintertime favorite. These windows tell me there are still seasons of the year.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Thanks. I sure do enjoy that sense of living in some trees.

      Delete
  6. How beautiful, Barb. I envy you the houseplants. I am terrible with them. I manage to keep the aloe and Christmas cactus alive but thats it.
    Your practical view of your health condition is both touching and amusing, because as we age we all, I think, consider our lives in those terms.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With everything else you do so well, I'm amazed your house plants aren't a conservatory! But that's ok. Maybe just those 2 are essential pleasures. I still need to get an aloe, as I reminded myself by a owey when baking quiche!

      Delete
  7. All of those plants would die in my care.

    ReplyDelete

So glad to have your comments...whatever they may be. I'm one who likes to reply sometime or another, so others will see that; or you might happen back sometime and see what conversation might have started.