Black Mountain

Lake Tomahawk, May 8, 2024

Saturday, October 14, 2023

From portraits to families to war vets' peaceful reunions

 I've got my collection of old photos to share.

Don't you want to play cards with her?


1955 African American girls pose in Atlantic City

Union and Confederate soldiers shake hands in peace at 1913 Gettysburg reunion


William T. Shorey (July 13, 1859 – April 15, 1919) was a late 19th-century American whaling ship captain known to his crew as the Black Ahab.

Typical family in the midwest, taken around 1910

1939 Family that traveled by freight train, by Dorthea Lange, Toppenish, Yakima Valley, Wash.


"Cartoners in Seacoast Canning Co., Factory #7 Eastport ME 1911, by Lewis Hine

And back to beautiful women, Frida Kahlo, Mexican artist

Sharing with Sepia Saturday this week:





And today's quote:




15 comments:

  1. Wonderful collection, my favorites are the first photo and the last photo. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There aren't that many to share from my own family for Sepia Saturday - or I've already shared them...so I'm glad to come up with things I've seen on the net - usually from Facebook.

      Delete
  2. ...Cartoners in Seacoast Canning Co., Factory #7 Eastport ME 1911, by Lewis Hine brings to mind the immigrant child labor in food plants today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh dear, I didn't realize it was still happening. But of course in other countries, it can very well continue!

      Delete
  3. At first I thought the Canning Co photo was a school picture but then I saw the children holding cartons. Why do we have to continue to fight to keep children out of factories? Thanks for reminding us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just realized that imported foods may very well be processed with child labor. Geese!

      Delete
  4. A thoughtful medley of striking images. Lewis Hine and Dorthea Lange are some of my favorite photographers partly because they used their photos for social activism and changed the way Americans viewed poverty and our working class.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree about those photographers, giving thoughtful images. Also good artists.

      Delete
  5. Great pictures! Bearing witness.... Also, there are American food entities that use child labor--notably in chicken processing plants as night shift cleaners.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yikes. My head has been in the sand. I have a poem to read about the Imperial Chicken Plant fire. Haven't felt strong enough to read it yet, by Jaki Sheldon Green. There is so much suffering in the world. I must have a bit of a discerning boundary to just let in what I can give my compassion to at any time.

      Delete
  6. A great collection of images,each with their own distinctive story.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My favourite here is the midwest family with the horse, because it reminds me of an old photo in my own collection, with a house and horse included as well. (Not included in this week's post though.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now I'll have to look twice, since I didn't remember the horse!

      Delete

So glad to have your comments...whatever they may be. I'm one who likes to reply sometime or another, so others will see that; or you might happen back sometime and see what conversation might have started.