Black Mountain

Lake Tomahawk, May 8, 2024

Tuesday, October 17, 2023

Small town excitment

 


A few weeks ago a high speed chase ended up with the suspect holed up in a motel room (a second one behind the sign in the middle of the scene. All those cars in the middle of the street were Sheriff's and Police with blue lights flashing. US highway 70 was blocked from my street (Blue Ridge Rd) to Craigmont, where the CVS is located. That's where I was standing to take this photo. I'm glad someone had posted about the situation to Facebook, so I took the detour.

I did have an appointment at CVS to get my COVID shot, so went around the back way, where all the traffic was being shuttled. The roadblock lasted for hours, and eventually the police entered the room to find that the suspect had killed himself. He apparently had warrants out for some sexual abuse of minors. Nobody said what they were when the police issued a report later that day. 

Since I already was going home by way of a detour (different than the backroad, Craigmont zoo!) I stopped at a local watering hole...which also has good food! Do people still say watering hole for a bar?

Considering it was 5:00 on a grey cool day, they were mobbed. So I sat myself at the bar, rather than waiting for a table. Nobody had been answering the phone for me to get a take-out.


I ha a Dr. Pepper and Fish and Chips, while all those folks were waiting for tables...I swear I was done before some of them got a table. And I had to send the fish back since the first serving had been over cooked...just dark brown. (I always think a 5:00 meal means getting what was cooked for lunch and just waiting around all afternoon!) Anyway the second serving was huge and good, and fried onion rings, lots of good ole fat there!


And here's a seasonal decoration for you, complete with real leaves.


Today's quote:

Your very own inner wisdom should be valued more than any other and will always guide you in the direction you need to travel.


And to get into the seasonal mood...






15 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Buzzz...no a bar bee! Get it, being named Barbara? Barb-y. (A nickname I never allowed actually)

      Delete
  2. Hello,
    Sounds like a lot of excitement! I have been undecided about getting the latest covid shot. The bar food can be delicious, I like the Fish and Chips. But, not overcooked. Take care, have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Since I had a good serving the second time, visitors from Toledo sitting next to me also ordered it, and got smaller servings (as I'd always had before) freshly fried! And their small servings are 3 long filets of a nice white fish.

      Delete
  3. I'm getting my Covid shot in November. Fish and chips are always a good choice except as you found out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. I just spoke with my Dr. about getting the RSV shot as well. He seemed in favor of it, since I've got lung problems already. And of course I need a flu shot too!

      Delete
  4. And now I'm craving fish and chips. . .

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad you found a nice place to have dinner instead of waiting in traffic for that police thing to be resolved.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is true indeed. The drivers of semi trucks had it worst, not having good turn around places.

      Delete
  6. That was a lot of excitement. If the news media showed up, people would probably be very happy to talk to them. We once had fish and chips and the fish wasn't cooked all the way, some of the batter was raw. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just our local station, and they had the same viewpoint that I had from the parking lot across the way! Oh no, just thinking of undercooked fish is yucky! Unless you want Japanese Sushi! And that's not fried. However there's also Tempura, fried shrimp, veggies...which also needs to be well done!

      Delete
  7. I'm trying to sort out the best time for a covid shot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The pharmacist who gave me mine said to wait 2 weeks before doing my flu shot. She said that would give it time to take full effect. Makes sense. I'd prefer not to have those little microbe things in vaccines fighting for attention.

      Delete

So glad to have your comments...whatever they may be. I'm one who likes to reply sometime or another, so others will see that; or you might happen back sometime and see what conversation might have started.