Black Mountain

Lake Tomahawk, May 8, 2024

Sunday, October 15, 2023

Poet laureate of North Carolina

 I was thrilled to listen to Jaki Shelton Green read some of her poetry for the Black Mountain Library the other evening. 





After her presentation some of her books were for sale...here she's dedicating the one I purchased.

I used to not read poetry. Now I do. It's musical, colorful, and a lot of my emotions are replicated in the words of these talented artists.

After enjoying the hour long presentation with a friend, we decided to go out for a glass of wine, and who should come in but Ms Green and two others. Wish I knew more about the food because she asked, but it was our first visit and we weren’t particularly interested in more than an appetizer of fried green tomatoes with bacon bits, cheese, and sauce.

I can also mention we were seated next to a couple who I knew from being part of the pottery community studio for many years. Small world!

The restaurant was a bit pricey, but good for a celebration. You know, real linens on the table! Que Sera was the name, in case you're interested (friend blogger Dave might be!) It's directly connected to Taloe's Oyster Bar. If I'd eaten any dinner before the program at 6, I might have just gone to the bar for a glass of wine...but then there'd be two elderly ladies not quite sober enough to drive home!

I hadn't stayed out until dark (nor had that glass of wine too) since forever. I was careful driving, and glad I'd eaten also...but I definitely felt it was a special occasion! It's not every day a free reading is offered by a Poet Laureate. Don't people know that? Well, the reading was very well attended, but not standing room only. And our sweet little town didn't have any blacks in attendance. There are a minority of blacks who live here...but perhaps not poetry lovers.

And here are a few lines of one of her poems I liked....not the whole thing.

"i go into rooms with rumi

i wear new faces into rooms
i've never gone into before; faces
stitched by hands of grandmothers
whose skin is clay
whose clan is wind
awakening from earth's sleep"

Jaki Shelton Green, in "breath of the song, NEW AND SELECTED POEMS"


-------------------------

And for a laugh perhaps...


Yesterday I found out that a friend had to cancel our annual trip with the two others of us who planned to go to the Pisgah Inn on the Blue Ridge Parkway. She's one of our trio who's married and reported her husband just tested positive for COVID. So though her test was negative, she can't very well isolate from him, and might still catch it for a second time. So my dear friend who I had lunch with today was willing to fill in for her, just because it's leaf peeping season. It's such a beautiful time to drive slowly on the Parkway and see wherever there might be some color. It may not be that great this year, we've heard...from dry weather. But this is a test of our friendship as well as her wallet...the menu is right up there in quality and price, and she's unemployed (not by choice.)


9 comments:

  1. Doris Day would be pleased with the name of that restaurant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whatever will be, will be. Que sera, sera! There were no tunes playing that I remember in the restaurant.

      Delete
  2. Hello,
    Sounds like a lovely day, with the reading of poems and the nice restaurant. There are not many colorful trees here, only a bit here and there. I hope your friend stays COVID free and her hubby recovers quickly. Take care, have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad to see your happy comment today. The plans for lunch continue to flex...as my other friend's grandson decided to extend their visit so she's not coming. Thus it's just me and the newly invited friend! We shall look for pretty leaves as well as enjoy a delicious meal!

      Delete
  3. ...I'm afraid that covid will NEVER go away! Thanks Donnie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OK, I'm not catching Donnie yet...but it would be nice not to have to test whenever a friend says they've been with someone with COVID. I don't think I've had it yet, and got my latest booster last week. It should be fully effective in another week. For whatever good it might do since the bug is busy mutating.

      Delete
  4. I love that you went to a poetry reading. I used to do that so often many years ago. Sounds you had a wonderful day there. Enjoy the fall colors. I'm looking forward to photos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to look for some today (Sun.) and will post any that I see soon!

      Delete

So glad to have your comments...whatever they may be. I'm one who likes to reply sometime or another, so others will see that; or you might happen back sometime and see what conversation might have started.