Black Mountain

The greening of the mountains from Blue Ridge Rd, Black Mountain, North Carolina.

Sunday, April 17, 2022

Back at the Community Garden

 


Finding it from Blue Ridge Rd. S. is a bit tricky. Take the dead end turn opposite the one that goes to the YMCA Assembly. Then wind around past some derilict housing on one side, and the indoor sports arena and the fire station on your right...and find the sign that says, "parking for garden."


Despite the clouds, and no rain at present, no one was working in their plot that Saturday before Easter. However, by the time I took this photo a real Easter bunny, brown and wild, was aware of my presence and high-tailed it in the other direction from the center of the gardens.

I imaging Mr/Ms bunny found more tasty treats than these pretty violets.

An overview of the gardens I looked more closely at in the following photos...as I walked down the path to the left.

I thought I was catching the farmer's name on their garden tags...but it is still too small to read. And I wonder what these goodies will be...

I'm guessing these are peas of some variety, as they are hardier than beans. Clever climbing trellis here.

Looking further in that garden plot, we see some seeds planted, and a cabbage I recognize.


There are also some beets growing in the next section, and looking just about ready to eat!


I'm guessing some kinds of lettuce perhaps...and maybe some herbs...just a guess.


And then some soil prepared for working soon.

I do plan to come back and see how this garden fares through the season.


The compost area has been finished, with lids on the new bins...to dissuade bears at least. And the sign says to cover kitchen scraps with dirt.


As I turned to go back to the center aisle that I'd been pulled away from by the good looking plants, I was surprised to see Ms some kind of ground hog flee from her den. She wasn't as big as most ground hogs...more the size of a gerbil or chipmunk...but I didn't get a good enough look to see if she was striped. She must be well fed in this garden though!




These gardeners are trying to keep out critters so they will have their crop to eat themselves. Good chicken wiring around 3 sides however leaves one side saying welcome rabbits!




I'll share the rest of the photos from my walk last Sat. in another post. Hope you have a Happy Easter, and good Passover.

Today's quote:

 “True music must reflect the thought and aspirations of the people and time. My people are Americans. My time is today.”  George Gershwin  born Sept 26(1898) wrote Rhapsody in Blue, “Summertime,” “I Got Rhythm,” and “Embraceable You,” 

6 comments:

  1. ...this morning my garden is dusted with snow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh you will have to wait a bit for your spinach out of the garden! We may have frost tonight.

      Delete
  2. Strangely., I couldn’t see where to comment on your Egg post. My iPad must be off, for you did have one comment there. Anyway, the eggs were remarkable. Happy Easter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aren't they lovely? And a Canadian (with maybe some Ukrainian blood) made them. What art!

      Delete

So glad to have your comments...whatever they may be. I'm one who likes to reply sometime or another, so others will see that; or you might happen back sometime and see what conversation might have started.