Black Mountain

The greening of the mountains from Blue Ridge Rd, Black Mountain, North Carolina.

Saturday, April 9, 2022

Eat it toxic or eat it organic?

 EWG (Environmental Working Group) list of foods that we can healthily eat this year...the most up-to-date information, based on tests conducted by the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) and the Food and Drug Administration (FDA).

EWG'S Dirty Dozen for 2022

  • Strawberries
  • Spinach
  • Kale, collard and mustard greens
  • Nectarines
  • Apples
  • Grapes
  • Bell and hot peppers
  • Cherries
  • Peaches
  • Pears
  • Celery
  • Tomatoes

EWG's Clean Fifteen for 2022

This will change a few of my shopping habits...ie. spinach which isn't organic has been regularly in my diet with nectarines, pears, celery, and cherries and tomatoes!

Wow.

I've been working to get back to whole foods, plant based, low oil diet...because that, with the other Ornish plan methods, has been proved to reduce plaque in the arteries. Of course I have some different ideas about what I really will be eating...including fish rather than taking a suppliment which has Omega-3 fatty acids from fish. Why not go to the source?

Anyway, plaque is just one indicator leading heart problems, from what I understand. My heart may have a normal rating, but my lungs are more of a problem for me! So good food is probably also recommended for healthy lungs, though my pulmonologist says he hasn't heard of any studies to that effect. Mmm, it makes me wonder if anyone is doing studies about breathing health.

But the mantra which keeps bonking me on my head is...
"do what you did, and get what you got."
Me in Dallas at about a year old. Just doing what I was told at that time, following my instincts to walk, talk and feed myself!


In other words, my lack of exercise, my isolationistic tendencies, and my poor diet gave me a heart attack.

What have I done to bring on chronic lung problems? Some might be heritary...but I did contribute to the problem.

Smoking for 6-7 years, a pack a day, then enjoying occasional pot smoking as well at that time...in my 30s. I think I started smoking around 1972-3. And I quit in 1978. Marijuana smoking became more ocasional as I moved into my 40s. I was so glad to stop smoking tobacco.

I could hike, climbing along in the Smoky Mountains...in my 40s. I would say I was about in my 50s and still felt strong and fit. But in my 60s I found COPD symptoms...lots of coughing, unable to do climbs or long hikes. And physical fatigue after a week of working!

It wasn't until my 70s that bronchietisis was diagnosed. I guess I'm grateful to have lived till then...and now am reaching 80 in 4 more months.

So I'll purchase the less toxic foods for sure. And do as many breathing exercises as I can. I might even do them daily. I am searching for my inner energizer bunny today. She's off somewhere drumming away, and I keep calling her. Hey bunny, listen, I need you now!!



2 comments:

So glad to have your comments...whatever they may be. I'm one who likes to reply sometime or another, so others will see that; or you might happen back sometime and see what conversation might have started.