Black Mountain

Flat Creek greenways trail (known as Emilee's Walk) on March 13, 2024

Sunday, June 29, 2014

Sound through the vale

Whether in an afternoon, or lonely sounding through the night, our moaning wail from the train is usually evident to most of us in Black Mountain.


And most of us feel that it means we're home.  When I first moved here it would make me smile, thinking of commerce traveling along the rails still.


At times it makes me so sad, thinking of the coal coming out of the mountains going to feed the power plant which relies upon it, so everyone can use electricity.


  We think we're using a clean source of power.

Like the diesel engines pulling the train that warns of its coming at each cross road.  Long toot, two short ones.  I think.

How many times a day does it pass?  How many times going east?  How many times going west?  I have no idea.  But I hear the sound echo off the humid mountains. 

8 comments:

  1. I have my first memories of the trains from living in southern Iowa as the one that passed in a small town near us. I could hear the train at night from our farm home miles away. I could see the train in the distance along the highway and then would watch it pass at the crossing that went through the middle of town. I remember the old steam locomotives and hobos on the train. This track is now an Amtrack route and also the coal travels east.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Goodness, I'm thrilled you saw hobos and steam trains. My grandparents did.

      Delete
  2. We have no trains here in Brevard. The trains left with the closing of our major industry and the tracks are now idle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lots of communities are turning the railroad easements into greenways. There are bike and walking paths as well as new trees. Though of course Brevard is full of beautiful greenery already!

      Delete
  3. It's a beautiful, , lonesome sound -- but the coal it carries is the product of dangerous, environmentally unsound practices and the burning of that coal produces more problems. I hope the day will come when we get serious about solar and wind power.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A lot of trains go through our town too - many times a day both directions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mona...glad to hear from you...I am glad our trains go pretty slowly, probably because of the mountain curves.

      Delete

So glad to have your comments...whatever they may be. I'm one who likes to reply sometime or another, so others will see that; or you might happen back sometime and see what conversation might have started.