Black Mountain

The greening of the mountains from Blue Ridge Rd, Black Mountain, North Carolina.

Thursday, October 27, 2022

Helen and Barb and the bear hunters (5)

 Then we stopped at an overlook, just to check the elevation...only to find these huge trucks.


There were five of these big pickups, with these dog cages on their backs, and the very large men inside in boots and coveralls. I know because blue pickup guy had his leg sticking out the door which he closed when we parked.

So I know bear hunting season is in session. But at least they had no dogs...no barking at all. And Helen peeked into one of the carriers and said they were empty. From what I have heard, bear hunting is illegal on the Parkway or in State Parks, but only legal on private land with permission. With all these woods around us, I'm sure some would offer lots of places to go. 

But these weren't ATV's...just regular big pickups...so I thought, they must have hiked in from these vehicles and then back, thus half these guys had been asleep when we drove up, and then they started talking on walkie-talkies while I walked over the this sign. We also didn't see any guns.

Another hint of bear season...this was Bear Pen Gap Overlook, elev. 5560.

But there wasn't a view on either side of the overlook...just the tops of evergreen trees.

Perhaps these guys had been out at dawn hunting...and were thus tired. Several of them left before we did.

Betty White said:

 “I may be a senior, but so what? I’m still hot.”
—From her “I’m Still Hot” music video.

13 comments:

  1. Hello,
    Maryland has a bear hunt now too. I miss seeing the bears on our last few visits to Shenandoah NP. It does not seem like there are that many bears out there for them to hunt. Take care, enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, they've all packed up and moved down here. The problem is they can and often do get into people's garbage bins when they're put out for pick-up. And because they are eating people food, they are healthier, and the mamas have litters of 3 and 4 cubs regularly. So we see them prowling in our yards, looking for the garbage or bird feeders, or whatever they can find. One tried to burrow under a nearby front porch to den for the winter...fortunately it was too small for him. It's become a problem, since we have kind of created it, but so far are not doing much to solve it. So bear hunting season is in 2 sections here...and I would think most of them are denned up by December.

      Delete
  2. ...perhap a bear season is on in the Adirondacks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you ever hear gun shots when you're in the woods taking your great photos?

      Delete
  3. I’ve seen the bear hunters in big trucks parked at an overlook on the parkway with a trail leading straight down. I know you can’t hunt on the parkway but seems like they were able to hike into a hunting area? Either way I just don’t like to see bear hunters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for letting me know I wasn't crazy. I've heard that most hunters for bear use a pack of dogs to chase the bears. Since these guys didn't have any dogs, I was a bit confused as to their purpose being there. But maybe all the dogs were asleep after the hard work of the morning.

      Delete
  4. Now I'm wondering why anyone would hunt bears. Do people eat bears? Or is it just for the sport of killing creatures?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know why any modern people would hunt bears. In very ancient times (before refrigeration for instance) bear meat would probably be processed either dried or with salt (I'm just guessing.) The skins were the main commodity that would be saleable.

      Delete
    2. Well, actually yes, people do eat bear meat. I have had but can't say it was anything special.

      Delete
  5. They banned it in Ontario for awhile but then they lifted it AFAIK.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our bear population does need to be culled, and if hunters are the way to do it, I just hope they do it fairly. We don't have many options.

      Delete
  6. I don't care for hunting. I was once in an Alaskan village and the family I was with had bear stew cooking on their stove. It was delicious and that was the last and only time I had it. Liking this series a lot. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bill. My friend Helen said her friend doesn't like my analogy to a movie with an unhappy ending. There were lots of parts of the movie which we don't exactly get involved in...just the free spirit of being out of our normal routines! I am glad to hear about someone who has eaten bear meat. I think I'd not mind a bear rug from a pelt of a bear...they do look so furry! But then I am much too against killing animals to really want one.

      Delete

So glad to have your comments...whatever they may be. I'm one who likes to reply sometime or another, so others will see that; or you might happen back sometime and see what conversation might have started.