Black Mountain

The greening of the mountains from Blue Ridge Rd, Black Mountain, North Carolina.

Saturday, October 8, 2022

Some bridges

 I looked through my collection of blogs to see what I had photos of bridges.

In 2013 I posted





The bridge over Tomahawk Creek as it flowed into Lake T.

Happy ducks swimming in leaf-full water shadowed by the bridge.



Grateful to be moving again after an hour delay due to construction on the I-40 bridge over Douglas Lake TN, as I was driving from Knoxville to Black Mountain Dec, 2013


How the bridge over Flat Creek in Montreat looked in 2013

The Flat Creek bridge in 2014. 

Flat Creek Bridge, 2019...still holding onto those old  tree railings! Which aren't holding onto the supports too well.

Flat Creek Bridge Feb. 2022...with new railings!

August 2014 trip to Old Salem has a covered bridge entrance to the old town from the information center. Here my friend Tim and I do a selfie but August sun was gruesome!

Tim gives perspective to the size of this pedestrian bridge.

I love seeing all the structure of these bridges.

The last of a covered bridge over the Haw River, NC

And in 2018 here's a blog about several bridges including info on the covered bridge over the Haw River, near Pittsboro NC. 

Oct 11, 2018, Swannanoa River crests the Blue Ridge Rd. S. bridge...just down hill from my home. Hurricane Michael's impact in Black Mountain NC

My contribution this week to Sepia Saturday!

Today's quote:

Forgiveness says you are given another chance to make a new beginning.

DESMOND TUTU

22 comments:

  1. Barbara I loved the old hand rails on the Flat Creek bridge and it was a pity they because so unsafe they had to be replaced. The new rails are not really attractive at all. Have a great weekend and thanks for your comments.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So good an example of how modern safety has replaced older simpler ways eh?

      Delete
  2. We have a very famous covered bridge near us called the Cornish Windsor Bridge if you want to google it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ...some look better than others!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the covered bridges, great collection of bridges and pretty views. Take care, enjoy your weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, covered bridges have always been interesting for me.

      Delete
  5. I like those bridges!
    Re your deleted post... pipelines?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not sure what deleted post. Sometimes I publish a post thats' supposed to be on a future date, then notice that it happened today by mistake. Maybe one of those is my guess.

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. For once I had some photos related to the SS theme!

      Delete
  7. Great collection of bridges, Barb. I love the rustic look of the earlier Flat Creek bridge, but I don't imagine it was safe -- hence the re-do. And the covered bridge is just delightful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, it lasted in the old format for years and years, with increasing repairs of course.

      Delete
  8. Fascinated by those covered bridges, we don't have those here (or at least I've never come across one).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are certainly off the beaten path, and mainly where early settlers built them and wanted the wood to not rot away thus a covering.

      Delete
  9. Bridges are great metaphors for life. Today we take them for granted but In olden times people appreciated them more because there were no alternatives except to go a long way around or hazard a crossing on a ferry or at a ford. I've hiked on a number of trails here in WNC that could benefit from even a simple log bridge to avoid the cold mountain streams.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, but I'll take a bit more of a bridge thank you! Some places in the woods have stones placed strategically, but storms may knock them away.

      Delete

So glad to have your comments...whatever they may be. I'm one who likes to reply sometime or another, so others will see that; or you might happen back sometime and see what conversation might have started.