Black Mountain

The greening of the mountains from Blue Ridge Rd, Black Mountain, North Carolina.

Thursday, October 20, 2022

My mysteries (plus others) this week

 I had a few days of set-back, then a few days of trying to catch up. I think two steps back and one forward still leave me a bit behind myself!

Watched the PBS series the day after it was live on TV, "Magpie Murders." It was fun, but I hate that it will be drawn out over however many episodes.


And my YouTube channel on my new TV has started to actually record and make available several of my favorite shows.

I don't think anyone else has heard of "Frankie Drake, Private Detective"...but I loved her first season I saw last year, and even though she's gone blond (from redhead) this year, they are fun and spunky. Just getting to know the characters has been a hoot and a half. Also a PBS show, and only 4 seasons. So I've kind of watched them out of order.  


It's really fun to see Toronto a la 1920s with interracial relationships all over the place...not just black, but many Asians too. I haven't been able to find the shows where the other detective from Toronto's past are (Murdock.) But I'll be looking soon. His shows were kind of cute.

I can't leave out the books I'm reading...non-fiction by Robertson Work, "A Compassionate Civilization." I'm thrilled that he lives in our area and is also my facebook friend. He's also offered his words in a YouTube Video...which I'll share on my "serious stuff blog" When I was 69"

Also on my bookshelf:

Some short stories by various famous detective writers titled "Face Off" where 2 writers pit their detectives against/or for each other. 

And another audio book by Burke, which I may have already heard, and may not finish, because there is a something similar about all his tales.

What are you looking at or listening to or reading?

10 comments:

  1. Hello,
    I love the British mysteries, I have a few favorites. Take care, enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So inventive, and not focused on speed, destruction and special effects!

      Delete
  2. Currenty reading Cloud Cuckoo Land by Anthony Doerr. It's captivating. Watching? Old movies. Last night a Marilyn Monroe and Laurence Olivier movie from 1957 set in 1911. It was much better than we expected.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard of that...will look for it. Oh what fun those 2 stars must have had in that movie!

      Delete
  3. We're always looking for new and interesting shows to watch. Thank you for these suggestions.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm reading Lynda LaPlante's new book, Dark Rooms. It follows Jane Tenneson.

    ReplyDelete
  5. At some point I'll have to subscribe to PBS for a month to catch up with Endeavour and Grantchester and not Magpie.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That Frankie Drake series started out as a Canadian production.

    ReplyDelete

So glad to have your comments...whatever they may be. I'm one who likes to reply sometime or another, so others will see that; or you might happen back sometime and see what conversation might have started.