Black Mountain

The greening of the mountains from Blue Ridge Rd, Black Mountain, North Carolina.

Thursday, October 13, 2022

October weekend trip

 Four of us piled into my new (to me) Toy-ota and drove up to Spruce Pine NC to the Pottery Show. I'll share the pottery exhibits over on my art blog (which has been sadly catching dust of misuse) Alchemy of Clay.

There goes the Blue Ridge Road Runner on the way along the highways...and the Parkway too.

Cathy and I met with her teacher, Terry Gess, and brought home some of his wares to remember him by. My son had been his assistant when he taught a workshop at Pennland School of Crafts. Cathy graduated from the Crafts program at Haywood Community College with concentration in clay. Then she taught pottery to Judy, another one of our Sunday group.


The show was in an old manufacturing or warehouse type building....windows on all sides, wonderful displays in a huge showroom. There were these old doors attached to a wall, possibly from this building, but the photo through the glass showed a lobby of an opera house. Nothing told the doors history.

This gives you an idea of the set-ups. I'll focus on just one artist, or partnership when I give more details. It will probably take a while to sort through the photos, as you know.

We then scanned through google to find restaurants that were a step above fast food, and may have something we could afford as well. No table clothes please. We found the No 3 Grill at the nearby golf course had good looking things on it's menu on line.

And off we went. We got a table overlooking the golf course (I don't know which green it was (clubhouse and restaurant?) as I haven't ever golfed. Indeed none of us had.

And all the prices on the menus were blacked out. We asked for prices, and the server suggested we use the little URL app...which we were unable to do with any of our phones. So when we showed her the menu we'd seen on line (after she gave us a password so we could use their wi-fi) we found all the prices have been raised. Understandable, so we just asked the prices of what we thought looked interesting...and ordered.


Two of us ordered burgers, and two of us ordered the roasted chicken with bruschetta sauce and 2 sides.

We each received only a small piece of roasted chicken breast that did have nice sauce, but was gone in a wink. I'm glad I had mashed potatoes to fill me up. And the price had only gone up 2 dollars, so that was doable. I just wish I'd received more chicken!





Tim...



I happened to mention that we were just a couple of miles from the Orchard at Altapass, which not only sold apples, but had hot home made apple pie a la mode. As well as live blue grass music and clog style dancing on Sundays.

My friends said yes!

More on the next post...

Today's Quote:

We all live under the same sky, but we don't all have the same horizon. -Konrad Adenauer, statesman (5 Jan 1876-1967)

16 comments:

  1. Nice views over the golf course. I noticed in Europe a lot of restaurants didn't have a menu, you had to read the menu via the QR reader app on the table. Not for all unfortunately!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not well travelled any more, so didn't know the QR reader should work, and apparently theirs didn't. It was a good time anyway!

      Delete
  2. That is a shame. They keep making life more complicated!
    (ツ) from Jenn Jilks , ON, Canada!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so old school. Even menus copied on a copy machine are what I'd be happy to have!

      Delete
  3. Seems like a very nice excursion, even if the restaurant experience could have been better.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ...get out and enjoy your fall.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a fun adventure with friends.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is the sason to enjoy the colour show. That stinks about the restaurant having no menus to see without a smartphone. I don't have one so I would be out of luck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was frustrating, but we finally just asked the price of what we were considering.

      Delete
  7. Pretty fall colours are starting to show there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's such fun, just driving around looking at all this beauty!

      Delete
  8. You had a beautiful day for your jaunt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There have sure been some great days to to outside enjoying the weather!

      Delete

So glad to have your comments...whatever they may be. I'm one who likes to reply sometime or another, so others will see that; or you might happen back sometime and see what conversation might have started.