Black Mountain

The greening of the mountains from Blue Ridge Rd, Black Mountain, North Carolina.

Sunday, January 22, 2023

A conservatory At Biltmore Estate

  from 2015

Have you ever walked through a Conservatory in winter?


Biltmore Conservatory, Asheville, NC

I remember seeing a wonderful exhibit of blown glass sculptures interacting with wonderful vegetation in Atlanta at the Botanical Gardens, maybe not winter, but still it was a great relief to see such beauty.  Chihuly glass is pretty wonderful all by itself.  So are flowers.
Chihuly glass at Dallas Arboretum

But this trip was to the Biltmore Estate in Asheville, NC.  The Conservatory had lots of orchids, palms, and spring blooms in pots.  Ah.


My only criticism was there were repetitions of the same plants throughout the greenhouses, (except perhaps for the actual orchid room.)  But I guess that works when the main focus of flowers at this estate is to have table decorations in hallways and banquet rooms inside.  The actual blooms from the Conservatory were not what I saw inside while walking through the rooms...rather they looked like they came from hot houses or were imported from a place where it's summer right now.

Conservatory, Biltmore Estate, Asheville, NC

And the gardens are still dormant, though the daffodils were beginning to peep up.  I'll show you them under the trellessed roses here.




Weather for last 24 hours...dry, windy up to 40s in afternoon, back to almost freezing tonight. Rain expected in the early hours...and there's a water main break at the junction of my road and the road that goes into Black Mountain. I have a committment for church this morning, so will carefully navigate areas not icy!

Today's quote: (about what I would expect)

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.”
 Hunter S. Thompson

17 comments:

  1. ./..horticulturte as an artform.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just once. It was an absolute delight in the middle of a Canadian winter. There is nothing like that close to us now, but I do remember the experience fondly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, winter is definitely a great time to visit. I waas given a pass to the grounds and conservatory by a friend...not including the mansion which was fine by me.

      Delete
  3. I haven't explored a conservatory in winter, but it does look like a wonderful idea. So nice to see the blooming flowers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The orchid house was my favorite, though I couldn't name a one!

      Delete
  4. No conservatory near us. We just have to wait for spring or enjoy others photos of flowers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I offer flowers here for the rest of January...not always current, but what I could find in my files.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Outside weather is definitely not conducive to enjoying flowers, however inside, and in my old blog posts, I can find a few to share.

      Delete
  6. Relief from gray winter is welcomed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those shots of the rose vines show just how grey and brown things are.

      Delete
  7. No conservatory here that I know of, but I sure would enjoy such a visit. Going to California last January was almost like that.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I used to make a point of visiting the Biltmore greenhouses in winter. It was so lovely to see, as well as smell. A real invigorator in January.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reminding me of the scent beauty as well as visual.

      Delete

So glad to have your comments...whatever they may be. I'm one who likes to reply sometime or another, so others will see that; or you might happen back sometime and see what conversation might have started.