Black Mountain

The greening of the mountains from Blue Ridge Rd, Black Mountain, North Carolina.

Friday, January 27, 2023

At the Arboretum

From August 2019 - Sharing with Floral Friday Fotos in 2023

 Wonderful plants, trees, flowers, moss, and some real learning that Helen and I experienced last Wednesday (on the original trip.) I think I'll just do a little at a time here.


The steps lead up to a platform from which to view the flower quilt. (more later on)

There were many little houses for the insects who lay eggs in the pipes, keeping on adding more until it's full.






These pitcher plants were near the water feature, which had koi fish of course.

A red version of a pitcher plant.

Mt. Pisgah probably in the distance across the flower quilt.

Helen looking at the view. Below is the botanical quilt. The bright sun kind of fades everything to grey.

It's much more colorful in person, the sun kind of fades the colors.  Or maybe you just blur your vision when you see it.
These dark orange petunias were everywhere.

Who knows what the purple ones are?

We were looking at a botanical quilt, so there were information plaques to read.


Helen said, "quilting has been around for 3000 years...I wonder what kinds of materials they used for thread and cloth." I don't know why I didn't stop to read the panel, must have been in a hurry to take more pictures.  I only took around 150 this trip!

Today's quote:

March is the month of expectation —Emily Dickinson

16 comments:

  1. ...it's lovely to see that the earth has come to life in your area. We will have to wait a bit longer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My friend, you are deceived...this post was from August 2019. No way our Arboretum has these blooms yet!

      Delete
  2. Beautiful views of the garden. I like all the insect houses. The Pitcher Plants are cool. Take care, have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I'm thrilled to see all I did in 2019. What a year that was! Glad you could stop by and comment. Looking forward to your Saturday Critters tomorrow!

      Delete
  3. Nice to have these photos of before Covid excursions. Gardens are places I like to visit too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a wonderful year for me. I hope to return to that amount of travel and enjoyment sometime soon. Yes, visiting more gardens is definitely on my list.

      Delete
  4. What a beautiful view of summer there. I love seeing all the flowers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to take you into the hot sun of August for a treat.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Thanks, I hope you felt that warm breeze on your neck when you stood there in the garden (virtually of course!)

      Delete
  6. I wonder what insects use those pipes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Apparently they lay an egg, seal it in, then lay another, until the whole tube is full. I think some kind of bees do this.

      Delete

So glad to have your comments...whatever they may be. I'm one who likes to reply sometime or another, so others will see that; or you might happen back sometime and see what conversation might have started.