Black Mountain

The greening of the mountains from Blue Ridge Rd, Black Mountain, North Carolina.

Friday, January 13, 2023

City Lights Bookstore, Sylva NC

 There may be a more famous bookstore in San Francisco by this name, but this is the one I drive 50 miles to enjoy. (And I can certainly drive 15 miles to several great bookstores in Asheville NC also!)

This is the simple entrance on the top edge of a hill. There's not all that much parking on the one way street, so we were fortunate to get the handicap spot right by the door.


A very fun critters umbrella hung overhead where I browsed biographies. I also found a lovely book of Mary Oliver's poems.  They have a good selection of used books, mostly paperback fiction, but many other topics, as well as a good selection of Appalachian and Native American publications.

I've sworn off fiction for a while, having been too identified with the characters in my last fiction reading. So biographies/journals/poetry...all the wonderful non-fiction captured me.

Then our fun treat was eating in the cafe downstairs.  Good organic food, prepared after you order it. 


Helen had the London Fog special tea, a black tea with a shot of vanilla, finished off with milk.

Teresa ate a comfort lunch of tomato bisque soup with a cheese sandwich, while Helen had a breakfast burrito something, and I had the soup with a spinach and apple salad.

1/12-13/23 Weather update...warmish day, high winds and rain for a couple of hours including big thunder in the mountains (it rolls on and on and on). South of us at dinner time we had some tornadoes that got on our weather report, in South Carolina.  Today (Fri) is much colder, woke up with 35 degrees and partly cloudy, and snow expected this afternoon. Temps tonight into the 20s.

Today's quote:

There are some oddities in the perspective with which we see the world. The fact that we live at the bottom of a deep gravity well, on the surface of a gas covered planet going around a nuclear fireball 90 million miles away and think this to be normal is obviously some indication of how skewed our perspective tends to be.

—Douglas Adams
from a Speech at Digital Biota 2, Cambridge, UK, (1998)


18 comments:

  1. ...I could have used an umbrella yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I'd had to go out, I would have been peeved that the umbrella sits in my car. But instead I was a hermit.

      Delete
  2. The book store and cafe sound nice. The umbrella is cute! I enjoy Mary Oliver's poem, enjoy the book! Take care, enjoy your day and happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well shucks, my reply disappeared again. I just said hello and have a good Friday the 13th!

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. It is, and I think I've talked about it before, so I didn't take that many photos.

      Delete
  4. It looks like a pleasant and worthwhile destination, especially with the treats.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we do plan our trips to include a lunch at the cafe. I seldom am out of my own district around Black Mountain, so am glad to know of one good restaurant in Sylva.

      Delete
  5. I am so surprised to see a "City Lights" bookstore there. I love that they chose that name.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never went to the one in SF, so can't compare, however I did enjoy hearing about it and some people it attracted. Hope this one does too. After all my friends and myself go at least once a year.

      Delete
  6. Great bookstore and nice it has the cafe. There's one in an old mill in Massachusetts I want to visit someday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The combination of books and food, or at leaast coffee is a winner. Though I didn't really think being able to read in an armchair and munch a croissant with a coffee at my feet was a good idea for one of the big box bookstores...and of course then not buying the book! But a separate cafe, yes yes yes

      Delete
  7. City Lights (NC) is one of my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can certainly imagine you shopping there too! It's a really great store, not that Malaprops isn't. I keep meaning to do a trip and photos from there. New year, new intentions

      Delete
  8. Sounds lovely! I have been enjoying biographies lately too. Need to find something to read now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually the Merton book was written by him, and I recently read a very nice article by someone who followed his steps in Oregon in the forest and along the coast. It had excerpts from Merton, so I hope I will enjoy reading a whole (big) book he wrote.

      Delete
  9. Looks like a great bookstore. We just came back from our charity shop with six books. An umbrella would be useless here with all the windy wet days. Enjoy the weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my, windy rains do make umbrellas go backwards. But having 6 new books is a great way to stay out of the rain.

      Delete

So glad to have your comments...whatever they may be. I'm one who likes to reply sometime or another, so others will see that; or you might happen back sometime and see what conversation might have started.