Black Mountain

The greening of the mountains from Tanbark Ridge overlook, elevation 3175 feet, Blue Ridge Parkway, North Carolina. The road seen in upper left is the parkway as it continues northeast. Can you see the little houses, including my favorite, the red roofed one?

Saturday, January 28, 2023

Tall ships

 Sepia Saturday's suggestion this week is...something about boats.


I found I'd saved an interesting chart describing parts of a ship.


I've been interested in the ships that used to move all the products around the world in commerce...I had several generations of Captains of these ships in my ancestry.  There were ship builders who lived along the coasts of New England, and ship captains who sailed regularly to China and even a wood carver who carved an Eagle design for a wall hanging.

(BELOW) STS Pogoria is a Polish barquentine launched in 1980. She was designed by the naval architect Zygmunt Choreń as the first in a series of (18 total) middle and large-size contemporary sailing vessels.

Today's quote:

When we hide and try to be invisible and unseen by all, we are only really hiding from ourselves.


16 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I agree. And then there's the engineering in having them be able to deal with the forces of wind and waves! Amazing!

      Delete
  2. Hello,
    Great post, I love the tall ships. I have seen some historic ships docked in Baltimore during the Fleet week events. have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great that you've seen some of the ones that are refurbished. I love that so many young sailors get to learn how the crews on a tall ship work.

      Delete
  3. Those big ships are amazing. 500 trees!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The ship details chart is interesting to me because I read stories from time to time of people traveling on those old ships & when they talk of going here or there on the ship, it would be handy to know what they're talking about. I should go online and see if I can find a chart like that to order so it's large enough to see the fine print. My great Uncle Tom captained cargo & passenger ships sometimes leaving my great Aunt Marie alone for weeks or even months at a time. The lifestyle seemed to suit her though because she was always cheerful and full of fun. I never saw her looking sad or lonely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The men who go down to the sea...leaves women to settle in their own work while they're gone. Whether fishing, or transporting commerce, at least it's now not as bad as the whalers who would be gone for years.

      Delete
  5. I too find tall ships finding fascinating. One year the Tall Ships Race ended at Leith, Edinburgh’s seaport , and my husband was a light plane flight that was taking spectators over the sight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How really fun that must have been. I like how boats that rely on wind energy are designed.

      Delete
  6. Interesting. I don’t know of any ship builders in my ancestry, although my grandfather was a captain in the navy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's quite likely that he got a chance at some point to go on board a tall ship. Midshipmen at Anapolis and the Coast Guard Academy get the opportunity. What a grand thing it would be, climbing those ropes and unfulrling the sails!

      Delete
  7. That is an excellent chart of an early man-o-war. I like that the descriptions include details about common nautical phrases too. I read the Wikipedia entry for the beautiful Polish barquentine and was impressed that it was designed as a training ship for junior and high school students, both boys and girls too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great to hear. It slipped right by me. I somehow got on a FB algorithm that has tall ships in it. I love it!

      Delete
  8. I was surprised to learn the origin of “slush fund” from the chart of the ship! This is Kathy at abbieandeveline.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. As far as I know, no captains or sailors in my family tree. My great-aunt Gerda the travelling lady's maid must have been on quite a number of ships in her day though, crossing the Atlantic back and forth many times.

    ReplyDelete

So glad to have your comments...whatever they may be. I'm one who likes to reply sometime or another, so others will see that; or you might happen back sometime and see what conversation might have started.