Black Mountain

The greening of the mountains from Blue Ridge Rd, Black Mountain, North Carolina.

Thursday, January 19, 2023

Gathering of the plants

 

I've pruned off all the extra limbs that had buds on them, thinking that just one set of blooms might need all the effort of tthe plant.  It is needing some repotting, and I just am not in the mood with wintertime and no outside place to do it.


The succulent in front is the only one that hasn't come down with the dread white fly fungus...so far. So I'm watering it very sparingly. Yes that's a failed casserole dish, which cracked between the bottom and sides when fired...so it can drain for a planter just fine.

I gave all of these a nice liquid fertilizer last week, and they seem happy enough. But they have a long way to go until frost season is over before they can go outside again. In the meantime I eat dinner under the blossoms and enjoy it just fine.

And here we are a week later...

The purple blossoms are about the normal size. Since so much of the basic plant seems under stress, I didn't expect them to open. Many of the roots which were fat and turquoise when I brought it inside, have dried up. I give it a small drink every other day...don't want any more fungus among us.

And this plant is at 8 blossoms. We shall see if any more open.

Weather comments for yesterday, Wednesday Jan 18. It was actually partly cloudy and warm...up into the 60s. It still felt like winter though...kind of biting wind sometimes. Letting us know that more is coming...Today, Thurs. is supposed to get rain.


Today's quote:

Nature's laws affirm instead of prohibit. If you violate her laws, you are your own prosecuting attorney, judge, jury, and hangman. -Luther Burbank, horticulturist (1849-1926)



14 comments:

  1. Hello,
    Your orchids are beautiful. I hope the orchid I bought will bloom again. Take care, have a happy day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I hope you'll have more orchid blooms too! OK, I'm going to see if a happy day is in the works for today! Thanks and the same to you.

      Delete
  2. I am always impressed by the results of your green thumb.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love seeing your blooming orchids there. So beautiful. And I love that quote.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The blooms are looking fantastic. Flowers are always a pleasure to see especially in the winter.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely! I have managed to kill off most of the plants i brought in, even tbe succulents! The aloe thrives, thank heaven. Your flowers are such a happy sight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I had an aloe...have always had them until living here. I know someone that I can probably get one from.

      Delete

So glad to have your comments...whatever they may be. I'm one who likes to reply sometime or another, so others will see that; or you might happen back sometime and see what conversation might have started.