Black Mountain

The greening of the mountains from Blue Ridge Rd, Black Mountain, North Carolina.

Friday, January 20, 2023

East Tennessee


Pigeon Forge, TN. Date unknown. This is very near Sevierville, Gatlinberg and Dollywood. They have all merged into a big tourist area.


My Rogers family came from Sevierville, so that's where my interest lies. I need to find out if there are more relatives buried there besides Elijah Rogers and his wife's father Spencer Clack. They are given a memorial type cemetery down by the Little Pigeon River, which flows through most of those towns. And Spencer Clack has a big memorial on the grounds of the Court House put up by the Daughters of the American Revolution, Spencer Clack Chapter.


Yesterday we did have rain in the morning. Sunshine on a warm afternoon. Cold again at night.

Today's quote:

Orbiting Earth in the spaceship, I saw how beautiful our planet is. People, let us preserve and increase this beauty, not destroy it! 

-Yuri Gagarin, first human in space (1934-1968)

Why does his countryman and president, Putin, have to make war on the Ukraine? It's not giving him any benefits. It's been almost a year now.
 

11 comments:

  1. Hello,
    I enjoyed my visits to Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg. Love the quote! Take care, have a happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. GOod morning to you, Eileen. I haven't been back to the E. Tennessee area for about 4-5 years. And that was a short trip to meet other family as they traveled from OH to FL. I did spend some time at the memorial garden in Sevierville. And they had a wonderful Information Center in that town.

      Delete
  2. I may have been in Tennessee, but it was when I was quite young.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I dare say you need to go again just so you can remember it. Or not!

      Delete
  3. ...Putin ego gets in his way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting. I think I was there as a teenager with my parents and we were camping in the Smokies. The Gagarin quote reminds me of William Shatner‘s reaction when he took a space trip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I camped in the Smokies several times, coming from other states. Then lived there just 4 years, but once a month would drive over to the park on a weekend day, sttill doing the 9-5 thing.

      Delete
  5. I was in Nashville very briefly a long time ago, but I didn’t hit the hilites. But I don’t think the hilites then were like they ar now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The hill-billies (the proper slang term around here) have been living in the Appalachian Mountains for a very long time. I've never heard them called the hilites. You started a new term!

      Delete
  6. East Tennessee is a beautiful area. I enjoyed going to the National Storytelling Festival in Jonesborough several times.

    ReplyDelete

So glad to have your comments...whatever they may be. I'm one who likes to reply sometime or another, so others will see that; or you might happen back sometime and see what conversation might have started.