Black Mountain

The greening of the mountains from Blue Ridge Rd, Black Mountain, North Carolina.

Saturday, February 11, 2023

Automobiles

 For Sepia Saturday this week, we get to find old pics of cars.

What's the difference between a car and automobile? No, I don't know the answer.


I'll share some old photos that I posted to another Sepia Saturday about a year ago.

But I also will give the link to a 2021 gas shortage post.

The following photos are the Rogers' family Studebakers, as well as some members of the family!

My father is Jr. and may be the one standing outside the car. His younger brother James would be driving, and Gummy (my grandmother who never drove) would be the passenger, wearing a hat.

In 1942 my grandparents stand as bookends for my father, in front of a Studebaker which looks very much like the one in the first photo. What do you think?

Here my younger sister and myself are standing in front of the Studebaker when we lived in St. Louis about in 1950.

Above, another Studebaker, and another set of Easter clothes (complete with hats) as my sister and I stand  on the campus of Principia, where we each attended from 1950 on, graduating from high school there, and attending 3 years of college before we each quit. 

This may have been my father's last Studebaker. It was sporty two tone with dark blue on top and a pale blue bottom. On the left hand photo you can see my grandfather and my little sis, and maybe myself in the window. On the right side I'm pretending to drive, well before turning 16 when I would finally learn how (in another Studebaker of course!)

I greatly enjoy different museums which have been visited by another blogger, so try going to 

Big Daddy Dave's post on art in automobiles.

or even better, Big Daddy Dave's visit to the Studebaker Museum

Yesterday we had some sunshine and at 60 degrees around 3 pm I ate my lunch in the car at the lake. The wind was pretty cool. One radio-controlled sailboat out there, and a trio of Mallards with the aim of making little ducks. I wonder if this weather brought them into season. Tomorrow night is due to get back down to freezing as we go through rain and maybe snow. We shall seee, grasshopper, we shall see.

And to carry forward from yesterday having my (new to me) car checked out, I anticipated that in March I'd have to have it inspected prior to getting my new license plate tag (sticker with the year's date on it). Thus the state of NC has done previously. But today I got the bill of all taxes, local and state for the car, and it said my car didn't need to be insepected for NC. Wow! So I got a freebe yesterday of the look-over, and won't have to get the $30 inspection at all next month. Whoopee! 

Today's quote:

If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. -Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President (1822-1885)

19 comments:

  1. Hello,
    Nice collection of cars and photos. It is nice you saved some money, not having to have your car inspected. Have a happy weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice bunch of Studebakers and yes, those first two look like the same car. Your Easter outfits looks so similar, except wider collars. On Easter my sister and I were usually wearing our spring coats as it was still pretty chilly in Detroit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it can be chilly in St. Louis for Easter. My grandmother was a seamstress, so made our Easter dresses according to measurements my mother sent her in San Antonio. Second shot shows how my sister seemed to be growing faster in height than I was!

      Delete
  3. A friend’s dad had a Studebaker in the 60s. It was the one Canadian automobile.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love those old photos of you and your sister and those Studebakers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a nice way to keep track of what we were driving around in as well as a visual to thank our grandmother.

      Delete
  5. Some great pictures! The very first one is like my grandfather's car in the Forties--they called it The Puddlejumper and it had a rumble seat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Such fun to hear the names...Lizzi was of course a favorite, but I think your Puddlejumper with a rumble seat takes the prize.

      Delete
  6. I don't know if Studebakers were popular with my antecedents. What happened to that company?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were closed down in the 60s I think. Lots of car companies were merging or just going belly up. Don't know the reason.

      Delete
  7. Oh, that’s a fascinating quote from Grant!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it does lead one a bit astray, then smacks one in the noggin...Grant!

      Delete
  8. I don't think I have a single photo of my grandparents' cars and I also can't recall what make they were or even what colour!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Probably black. And yet you have a million more photos of your family than I do! Such is the nature of our parent's choices.

      Delete

So glad to have your comments...whatever they may be. I'm one who likes to reply sometime or another, so others will see that; or you might happen back sometime and see what conversation might have started.