Black Mountain

The greening of the mountains from Blue Ridge Rd, Black Mountain, North Carolina.

Sunday, February 12, 2023

Day before the storm,* (yesterday Feb 11, 2023) (*just a bunch of rain)

More moss...which I've become strangely aware of for the first time. Of course I've always loved tree roots that look like humpback whales here, breaching in a mossy ocean.


 After a good week or maybe 2 where it's only gone below freezing at night maybe for a couple of hours, and been sunny and 60 degrees F several days. I had to go take these spring buds' photos.

And of course I'm interested in the moss that's growing everywhere.

Downstairs from my apartment...there's another apartment whose front door opens at that level, and I noticed out my window yesterday there was a clump of daffodils blooming. So I started to walk towards them, in a cold and windy day, with my hood up of my coat.

And look at this delicate little lady!

More little tiny flowers. I really was careful where I stepped.

And there they are. Blowing wind of course.

The closest one changed directions constantly, but I was thrilled to see gradations in the yellow, which haven't come through in past photos by the iPhone of daffodils. It was a cloudy day, so maybe that helped.

This shot is the north facing ground outside my front door.  It's a real mishmash!

By 7 pm last night the storm wasn't going to go below freezing here (but the whole day would be around 35 F.) And only a short portion would be snow...and the freezing rain would be starting about the time I was writing this. So I'm homebound, and have such a list of things to do in the house!

Happy birth anniversary to Lincoln, born in a log cabin, read by firelight, and oh yes, freed the slaves. A million people are descendants of those people who had no last names when they were set free, who had nothing but the clothes on their backs, and depending upon their owners who suddenly were forced to see that these were equal human beings, might also have a continuing job with some kind of wages. If they were farm workers, they might be given an area where they could continue farming and pay the owner of the land (no longer owner of themselves) a portion of what they chose to raise. (Sorry, I apparently really identify with this, as I had ancestors who owned slaves.)

Today's quote:
Men of lofty genius when they are doing the least work are most active. 
-Leonardo da Vinci, painter, engineer, musician, and scientist (1452-1519)




18 comments:

  1. Hello,
    The crocus and daffodils are so pretty, it is still too early here for blooms. I do not like freezing rain, I would stay home.
    Take care, have a great new week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's 9:30 and so far just rain. No freezing on the branches of the trees yet, which is good. Due to snow but warm temps so it might not happen. Thanks for your good wishes, and may your new week be full of sights of lots of birds!

      Delete
  2. ...all of the trees around you don't make a suitable place for grass.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not to mention buildings. The south faces of them are lovely, but north sides are kind of inviting green moss!

      Delete
  3. I planted lots of crocus last fall. There were none from previous owners. Looking forward to having flowers like you have there come April.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, these bulbs have somehow survived many generations of squirrels.

      Delete
  4. The circles keep going round and round.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love seeing the flowers blooming there. I'm glad you could get out and take some photos.
    Thank you for writing about Abraham Lincoln.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually wrote that paragraph this morning as a comment on another blog, then realized I wanted to say it on my blog! Lincoln and slavery, I mean. Today I'm not going out, though it's only cold rain, no snow yet at 10:30 am. and I don't really expect it...temps now due to get to 40.

      Delete
  6. Pretty blooms, a nice sight especially in February.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There will be more, I'm sure. Patience is the word for living through February!

      Delete
  7. Still waiting on the first daff or crocus. Like you, I enjoy the mosses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As soon as I say I've seen some, people tell me where they've seen some too. So apparenly February is having its own spring. I just hope the fruit trees don't follow suit.

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. Yes, I've seen other warmer areas showing lots of spring blossoms already.

      Delete
  9. Crocus are such pretty, hardy little things!

    ReplyDelete

So glad to have your comments...whatever they may be. I'm one who likes to reply sometime or another, so others will see that; or you might happen back sometime and see what conversation might have started.