Black Mountain

The greening of the mountains from Blue Ridge Rd, Black Mountain, North Carolina.

Sunday, February 5, 2023

Cold coming in

  


The light just turned green as I had my window down and phone camera pointed towards these clouds. The highway on the overpass is I-40. Not sure what the big lump of mountain is right below the signal lights...it may be 2 close mountains. These are actually called the Black Mountains, and are known as the oldest mountain formation in the US.

The clouds over the north side of the mountains are building up to bring us more cold weather. It was at least above freezing when I was out that morning. I was amazed at how many girls and their mothers just wore tee shirts, short sleeved tee shirts. I wore my hat and coat into the store, and then noticed some men at least were bundled in puffy coats and wool hats. I thought I was losing my mind! The probably work in cold places.

And I'm very grateful that we didn't have the snow or ice hit us with this front.

Today's quote:

It is enough to be grateful for the next breath.

BR. DAVID STEINDL-RAST

16 comments:

  1. Hello,
    Love the view of the mountain and sky. It is cold but sunny here, I am glad we did not have any snow! Take care, enjoy your day and have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy Sunday to you all. Yes cold is ok, up to a point. Glad you all didn't get snow too.

      Delete
  2. Those clouds in the background could almost be snow covered mountains. I know the Appalachians art the oldest mountains in US but didn't realize particular sections could be dated too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Somewhere I read and saw a map with a j hook formation, like a fish hook almost, which are this tail of Black Mountains. They don't go very far, but are pretty. No difference that I can see in the rocks though. But I'm not a geologist!

      Delete
  3. ...we have been cold and now it's warming up. Yoyo weather!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, nights are normal winter weather here, but the days do seem warmer. Good description Yoyo weather!

      Delete
  4. Our definition of cold is different from yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha, and then you also use a celsius thermometer!

      Delete
  5. Roger and I bundle up when we go out for walks and the temps are in the 40s here. We notice young people all the time out there in tee-shirts. We always laugh and say "Young people must really produce a lot of heat." Nice mountain pic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, that might be the reason after all! I have a male friend who wears cut-off pants all through the year. He certainly puts out a lot of heat from his body.

      Delete
  6. That’s quite a range in dress from shorts to puffy coats.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, but the guy who wears shorts all the time wasn't part of my observations that day...just many women and teen girls in short sleeved tee shirts...with holding their arms to keep warm, jumping from stores into cars. It reminded me of Floridians who jump from stores into cars for another reason...to avoid terrible heat!

      Delete
  7. We so often see people inadequately dressed for the weather. No coat, sandals, shorts, etc. Blows my mind. On the other extreme are those wearing caps and hooded in summer. Those are often the druggie, of course, very sad looking people.
    Your sky is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to remember the folks who never can get warm enough.

      Delete
  8. Today it was colder in our house than outside in the sun.

    ReplyDelete

So glad to have your comments...whatever they may be. I'm one who likes to reply sometime or another, so others will see that; or you might happen back sometime and see what conversation might have started.