Black Mountain

The greening of the mountains from Blue Ridge Rd, Black Mountain, North Carolina.

Friday, February 17, 2023

Springtime blooms from the past

  

Not my photo, but isn't it grand?

I did so enjoy these abundant white blooms!




Yesterday was balmy, no doubt about it. But rain came in during the night. However, before the rain I had a craving. I don't often follow my cravings, for some are a bit extravagent and not available easily. But this one was to have a slice of apple pie a la mode. Not just vanilla ice cream, but butter pecan. And so I got my trusty sneakers on and went off to our local grocery, and was so delighted to find my favorite Dutch Apple Pie...with a crumb toping. It's a lot smaller than it used to be...which is how they managed to keep the same price. Anyway, it was the only one left. I knew a Ceasar salad was dinner, so a good desert was well deserved. 

However, cooking a frozen pie takes an hour and ten minutes, and then it needs to cool for 2 hours. I cut that finaly corner a bit short by 20 minutes, The ice cream had been waiting in the freezer, and I watched old NCIS Los Angeles shows.

Sorry, after taking the picture I was busy, so I forgot to add this till I was awake this morning. If you read the post earlier you missed this.

 

Today's quote:
A book, once it is printed and published, becomes individual. It is by its publication as decisively severed from its author as in parturition a child is cut off from its parent. The book "means" thereafter, perforce, -- both grammatically and actually, -- whatever meaning this or that reader gets out of it. -James Branch Cabell, novelist, essayist, critic (14 Apr 1879-1958)

18 comments:

  1. ...the autumn clematis is beautiful, but a bit invasive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think this clematis must have been spring, because it bloomed before the roses.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. As I sit inside most of today in the shelter from the rain.

      Delete
  3. The apple pie ala mode sounds yummy. The white blossoms are pretty. Beautiful photos. Take care, have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, wish I could offer you a slice with a cuppa.

      Delete
  4. Cool for 2 hours? I ave never heard of such a thing unless you want to eat it cold. I don’t mind cold apple pie, but I wold certainly eat it hot.

    That is a very fine photo. It’s 17F here this morning and snowy and rainy (freezing) and sleety. You would love it. Not really. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha. Yes, hot apple pie is the whole idea, while the ice cream melts by the last bite.

      Delete
  5. Oh yum! And you might have a few more desserts in your future too, right? Love those photos, just beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love seeing those crepuscular rays over the mountains there. So beautiful. And that piece of pie and ice cream looks so yummy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If the store had not had my favorite pie, and it's been out more than carried in the last year, I probably would have gone home with the ice cream, and cut up an apple and microwaved it into submission to be "a la mode."

      Delete
  7. I had apple pie yesterday. No ice cream though, although it was offered.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh isn't it great to eat! Even without ice cream. I had another piece slightly warmed up for breakfast...it's fruit and pastry, right? No ice cream.

      Delete
  8. The pie looks so delicious. You probably were just teasing us when you forgot to place the photo.:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I was on a sugar high, or the doldrums that are supposed to happen after the high goes away. I'm fortunate to keep my blood sugar levels pretty even, and haven't had a severe plunge.

      Delete
  9. How nice to be able to indulge a craving so easily!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was an excellent exercise...put on shoes instead of slippers, put on coat of some kind, grab purse and keys, run car down the 1/2 mile to Ingles and then get a bit of exercise pushing the cart around. Really, I must have burned 5 calories with all that effort. And then showing such patience, not being able to eat it until 3 hours had passed! Boy, talk about deferred gratification!

      Delete

So glad to have your comments...whatever they may be. I'm one who likes to reply sometime or another, so others will see that; or you might happen back sometime and see what conversation might have started.