Black Mountain

The greening of the mountains from Blue Ridge Rd, Black Mountain, North Carolina.

Thursday, February 23, 2023

From past blossoms to enjoy again!

  


Isn't this fun with the rosemary growing bbehind the orchid?

I'm so glad Jack Ollis put his signature on this, a panorama of the town of Black Mountain.

Yesterday was a medical test...swallowing barium and then having photos taken of how my swallowing works. As usual, the prep work for the test was the hard part...just nothing by mouth 6 hours before the 10:20 test. That meant I could sip water all night until 4 am. Then nothing. I had thought I'd just be thirsty.

I actually felt weak, and it was my first experience of feeling frail. I'm a rather well padded 5'-5" and can still walk around without any aids. But I almost fell over when leaning down to get my insurance card our of my wallet. So I sat and waited till I was called, and kind of took tiny fast steps down that hall. 

They were very nice giving me directions, and listening to my difficulties. The final outcome will be sent to my Dr. by Friday. I will sneak a peak with my Care Coordinator next week since I don't have any appointments for a while.

So that was a Swallowing study. I stopped at Mc Dees where they had the breakfast menu showing, only, but they told me I couldn't get breakfast as it was after 11. And the man taking orders was terribly rude, saying he couldn't hear me. He kept saying that, and I said I really needed to eat something, so what was like a sausage biscuit on the regular menu which wasn't on display? I came away with plenty to drink, Sprite and coffee, and a simple chicken sandwich. They definitely helped me feel a bit more grounded.

But the 2 hour nap to make up for having tossed and turned all night helped even more.

Today's quote:
'Your heart and my heart are very, very old friends.'
~ Hafiz

12 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. He had nobody else to take orders for, and kept telling me I had to come inside - I said I couldn't, I wanted to eat something because I hadn't had anything since yesterday. He never appologized and kept acting like everything was my fault somehow. He didn't know that doesn't work on me anymore!

      Delete
  2. Hello,
    I hope all is well and your swallow test is normal. I think that worker is in the wrong job, being rude to the customers is just wrong. Glad the nap helped you! Take care, have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And here I am for another day. It dawned with beautiful weather, and I opened the windows to hear birds, and traffic. Funny that's how life is. Hope you have a good day too.

      Delete
  3. I had tat test or one like it a long time ago but I don’t remembering the fasting part. It was so long ago, that I just forget. I found out that I had a hiatal hernia. I still do. That’s life, eh?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have had someone or another say I had a hiatal hernia...but it hasn't come along in my charts. Maybe this will give it to me again. What joy!

      Delete
  4. Hope all goes well with those test results. The guy at the restaurant was a jerk. That's no way to talk to a customer. Yikes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh boy, medical tests. Necessary but geez. I hope yours uncovers whatever your issue is, dear Barbara. I was supposed to have one of those camera-down-throat tests last summer when I was having such a bad time with my stomach. I chickened out! But since then I have been finding my own solutions to my problem, which makes me much happier than swallowing due, camera, etc. Hugs and hopes for good results!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, if I had to have that, they'd have to sedate me pretty good. I think some of my digestive issues (further down) are due to the meds I'm on. If you get two of them to say, side effect may be... I usually get it. So those that make me sleepy, nighttime only. Thanks for your good wishes. I know they help!

      Delete
  6. Sorry to hear of those problems. Your pictures are lovely.

    ReplyDelete

So glad to have your comments...whatever they may be. I'm one who likes to reply sometime or another, so others will see that; or you might happen back sometime and see what conversation might have started.