Black Mountain

Lake Tomahawk, May 8, 2024

Saturday, July 8, 2023

Around the town

 

A rather invisible sign for the apartment complex.









Because bears for the last few years (5? 10?) have been eating out of garbage cans which aren't closed enough for their efforts to keep the "people food" from them, the bears are much healthier and have 3 and 4 cubs, (and 5) at a time. 

Which is just increasing the problem of more bears getting into garbage, especially when tourists come to town and aren't familiar with not leaving food scraps available anywhere. It reminds me of how my teenage son would just throw things on the ground, as if that would make them disappear. I did cure him of that fallacious thinking!



Today's quote:

A society which is mobile, which is full of channels for the distribution of a change occurring anywhere, must see to it that its members are educated to personal initiative and adaptability. Otherwise, they will be overwhelmed by the changes in which they are caught and whose significance or connections they do not perceive. 

-John Dewey, philosopher, psychologist, and educational reformer (1859-1952) Also founder of the Dewy Decimel System for organizing libraries.

12 comments:

  1. There must be a very Hugh class of garbage down there. 😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the bears have very little preference and apparently will rip open any plastic garbage bag after dragging it to another person's yard. I know they like sweet and sour sauce...having seen the remains of a closeby feeding once.

      Delete
  2. ...I like bears, from a distance!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I sure wouldn't feel very good meeting a bear as I came home and passed by our garbage bins. But these days the maintenance man has come up with a very good clasp system on each bin, and also straps the bins into the little corral, so we haven't had any feedings here lately.

      Delete
  3. Hello,
    Love all the beautiful flowers. I like seeing bears, the cubs are cute. From a distance of course. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have seen little ones along the Blue Ridge Parkway, when there's not a lot of traffic of course. I felt safe inside my car!

      Delete
  4. Do you often see the bears and cubs there? I've only seen a bear once and that was many years ago in the Sierra foothills.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my. 5 cubs at a time! The problem compounds. The flower shots are beautiful, Barb.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Despite living more or less on the edge of a forest where I know there are bears, we don't see them at our house now that Jenny patrols and howls every morning and evening.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cottage country here tends to rely on things like heavy duty canisters that bears can't get into.

    ReplyDelete

So glad to have your comments...whatever they may be. I'm one who likes to reply sometime or another, so others will see that; or you might happen back sometime and see what conversation might have started.