Black Mountain

Lake Tomahawk, May 8, 2024

Thursday, July 27, 2023

The wonder of a sunny day

 

At the top of our Town Square park is one of those "Splash Pads" play in water features. Here I was waiting in traffic and got to watch a young girl take her tiny little dog in with her (in her arms) and other smaller children yelling from glee at the cold water hitting them. Parents and grandparent watch them. I moved on, so you'll have to make up your own ending to the story of the girl and her dog.

As you can see in my header, I did take a pano shot. When I was the first car waiting at the red light, it was a great opportunity! Here you can see the block long store of Tyson's Furniture.

A favorite General Store (Town Hardware) is visited by locals and tourists alike, perhaps with different purchases in mind!

Going west on State St. (US 70) will eventually take me home. I will try to find the old photo of this intersection to add here.


Nobody knows when this photo was taken, between 1930 and 1950 is their best guess. The American Cafe is now Keller Williams Realtors with a red awning, see photo just before this.  That interesting  marquee covering the angled entrance on the left doesn't quite comouflage those curved upper windows on the Town Hardware Store. (Go back 2 photos before to see they are still there.)

Sharing with Skywatch Friday

Today's quote:

Everyone confesses that exertion which brings out all the powers of body and mind is the best thing for us; but most people do all they can to get rid of it, and as a general rule nobody does much more than circumstances drive them to do.

 -Harriet Beecher Stowe, abolitionist and novelist (1811-1896)







22 comments:

  1. ...it's nice to see that some things haven't changed much. Enjoy your blue skies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think there a little bits of the past, for those seeking nostalgia, in many of the buildings around Black Mountain. And there are certainly attractions for parents and children. I don't think the teens would find much of interest, unless they're the hiking variety!

      Delete
  2. Looks like a beautiful sky day! Take care, have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sure can be a beautiful sky. The smoke conditions exist at higher elevations these days...coming from Canada.

      Delete
  3. A beautiful blue-sky day there. Lovely cloud formations too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a pretty day and I put lots of sky in these photos!

      Delete
  4. Nice sky shot, I like you header, it gives you a fantastic shot of the big intersection. The old photo, I love looking at how it looked it the past. Comparison photos are very interesting. Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Replies
    1. Thanks. This is written in the evening, and we had a strike of thunder a half hour ago. But it has stayed dry. Don't remember where else I've had dry thunder strikes. I did turn off the computer for a while, as some of our thunderstorms here can be hectic! But not tonight!

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Thanks. I'm amazed to how our sky goes up so much, where I've lived before it went more broadly...because the land was flat there.

      Delete
  7. Those are some nice looking skies. We have cloudy skies with some rain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sounds great to have rain...which can cool things off for a while.

      Delete
  8. Great sky photos!
    The one showing the entrance to the splash pads is my favorite. It has been so hot here that I have been tempted to join the kids playing in the water at the park here.
    Have a blessed day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm chuckling. Why not. You could pretend you're with some kids there, giving them some safety looks or something!

      Delete
  9. The on and off smoke has made all of us appreciate a blue sky we may have taken for granted in other years. I like those details of the old buildings like the rounded windows, and I can remember "the showers" (replaced now by splash pads) we enjoyed in New York City's local parks during hot weather when I was growing up in the 50's and 60's.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never got to appreciate city summertime water, except going to pools. Then we moved to the suburbs, so a hose was the fun to supposedly water the grass.

      Delete
  10. What a beautiful downtown area. If I were passing through there, I would have to stop and look around. Awesome pano shot in your header!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, it sure is a lovely little town. I am amazed that two sites for businesses haven't been re-occupied after the demise of the former attempts. And I just heard one tiny store is being changed into a B&B...right on one of the main shopping streets. Wow, we're getting very metropolitan here! Lots don't like it though!

      Delete
  11. Great collection of photos on a sunny day!

    ReplyDelete

So glad to have your comments...whatever they may be. I'm one who likes to reply sometime or another, so others will see that; or you might happen back sometime and see what conversation might have started.