Black Mountain

Lake Tomahawk, May 8, 2024

Saturday, July 15, 2023

Some very old vehicles and such.

 

1927 Bluebird Bus, the oldest surviving school bus in America.

Boarding of the Pan American Airlines Sikorski S-40 American clipper flying boat at the
Miami Dinner Key base to Cristobal Colon, Panama. The pilot was Charles Lindberg. 1931

1918 couple enjoys their hand made camper.


Electric Detroit Model D, range of 100 miles, gets as fast as 25 mph, production canceled in favor of gasoline automobiles. 1910.


Late 1800s, this narrow bridge and horse drawn trolly service connected St. Augustine FL and Anastasia Island, where the lighthouse is.
1918 Westphalia Indiana the school bus was pulled by a horse.


Some great actors in a very good movie. Paul Newman, Katharine Ross, and Robert Redford for Butch Casidy and the Sundance Kid. 



Sharing with Sepia Saturday,  Thanks to Alan, who probably has a life, as opposed to me who has a half life. Tee hee, I'm radioactive and gradually loosing my powers!



And a quote for today:

If Galileo had said in verse that the world moved, the Inquisition might have let him alone. 

-Thomas Hardy, novelist and poet (1840-1928)

16 comments:

  1. ...Barbara, these are fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did enjoy sneaking in a fun non-vehicle, just because that looks right of the times.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks. I wish this new format didn't do this coloration to my replies. But I'm too tired to work on changing it again, for now.

      Delete
  3. A wonderful look back in transportation history. Great photos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks...since I didn't take them, but rather gathered them frrom the net.

      Delete
  4. Those school busses are amazing! I bet the top one makes mega money from Hollywood. I am sure I have seen it in a movie or two.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't realize that. Will have to watch. At least it wasn't in Forest Gump!

      Delete
  5. Wonderful selection of photos to share in this post. Enjoyed them all. Katherine Ross was lovely in that movie. But Paul & Robert - Mama Mia! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My feelings exactly and now I can go to bed with the tune. Can't pick up words yet...but they're riding the bicycle around the yard while it plays.

      Delete
  6. This is a fun mix that I wouldn't mind traveling in today. I've always wanted to take a trip in a flying boat. The one that captured my attention though was the book cart. I wonder if today's children would be as attracted to it as the kids of past times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder if the float planes that are used a lot in Canada and Alaska would give you the same feeling. There are some free library stands around, with one that always has childrens books (donated by my friend who picks them up at trift stores.) I admit I've only seen adults looking through the selections. If the libraries weren't available except as mobile ones, I'm sure everyone would start to use them again. Of course if the internet weren't there as well...

      Delete
  7. I never knew they had horse drawn school buses. I love all the variety of buses you’ve shared.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great selections! I found the horse-drawn vehicles particularly intriguing. Here in New York State we had the Erie Canal and feeder canals with boats pulled by horses or mules. But I never considered that trolleys and school buses might also have relied on horse power. Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  9. A fascinating collection of unusual vehicles. Would I feel safe on board that seaplane? I doubt it, but I was sruck by the smart dress of the women. Those horse drawn buses too looked perilously overloaded.

    ReplyDelete

So glad to have your comments...whatever they may be. I'm one who likes to reply sometime or another, so others will see that; or you might happen back sometime and see what conversation might have started.