Black Mountain

Lake Tomahawk, May 8, 2024

Tuesday, July 4, 2023

Happy Independence Day, Americans!

 

My friend, Diane, in a fabulous American shirt. But wait...what's that hanging from her ears?

They are tiny Democrat patriotic donkeys!

One of the houses that decorates a bit for the holiday.

All the tents and signs are how Harwood Funeral Home will invite everyone for free 4th of July BBQ, which I have heard are hot dogs. But really, thinking of eating right outside the bulding where Uncle Joe or Clem got creamated, is a bit strange to me! But it's a Black Mountain tradition.

Looking up at the Hwy 9 road going into Montreat, there's the post office.

They will have a parade on Independence Day. Considering it's the only road in or out of the town, I choose to not get into the snarl of traffic. There will be coverage on the news probably. It's all in good fun for this little college town.

NOTE Added at 11:15 on July 4. The clubhouse is preparing to have hotdogs and trimmings, and maybe hamburgers too. But here's the desert table after I added the brownies, far right!


And just to finish the post, here are more shots from the party.



Barry grilled the hot dogs and hamburgers at home and brought them over. He's our maintenance man.

My spread before the first bite. 
I belong to the clean plate club. I made the plate back when I gave one to each of my sons, wives and six grandchildren, kept 2 for myself, (for my 70th birthday)
Barry's wife Summer is showing Lavern her patriotic nails. 

Hope you have a happy holiday and stay safe!

Today's quote:
It's said that "power corrupts", but actually it's more true that power attracts the corruptible. The sane are usually attracted by other things than power. When they do act, they think of it as service, which has limits. The tyrant, though, seeks mastery, for which he is insatiable, implacable.
 -David Brin, scientist and science fiction author (b. 1950)



16 comments:

  1. That's some wild regalia that the lady is wearing. Sounds like you will be close to home -- as we were on Canada Day. It's an oldies thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes indeed! I am just walking today. I was out in town yesterday and there were croweded sidewalks with tourists. Good for business I'm sure.

      Delete
  2. Hello,
    Your friend is looking very patriotic. Happy 4th of July! Take care, enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy 4th to you all as well. Hope your critters don't feel upset with the big bangs.

      Delete
  3. ...have a safe and fun 4th.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The same to you Tom. Enjoy however you celebrate.

      Delete
  4. Dan went to play with a band in a parade an hour north of here. The band sits on a covered trailer. No marching for them. I'm headed to another parade with family. One dairy gives out chocolate milk as they pass by in the parade. Lots of candy tossed too. But there's a chance of rain so better take an umbrella with me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good plans for wetness during parades. Glad Dan's band has a trailer to pull them along. Have fun!

      Delete
  5. Happy Fourth of July! We're going to keep our windows closed so we don't hear all the crazy booming fireworks late into the night tonight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I will too. I slept quite late today, probably trying to prepare for hours that I don't sleep tonight.

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Thanks Jenny...since you don't celebrate it. Especially since our independence was from merry old England!

      Delete
  7. Happy 4th! Love those earrings. The food all looks delicious, and what a pleasant gathering. We are homebodies today, choosing not to be part of the big to-do in town. Much nicer here on the porch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been watching movies. And when one gets tense, I switch to another one. So far I think I have 7-8 going. So I'm going to stop and compose a few blogs instead. They will wait. Love streaming movies! Enjoy your porch celebration!

      Delete

So glad to have your comments...whatever they may be. I'm one who likes to reply sometime or another, so others will see that; or you might happen back sometime and see what conversation might have started.