Black Mountain

Lake Tomahawk, May 8, 2024

Sunday, September 17, 2023

Art in a journal

 I now am the proud owner of the four first volumes that have been printed of Emergence Magazine.

Volume One Emergence Magazine

I actually purchased Vol. 3 first, since it was published as we came out of the COVID pandemic and were realizing the extent of the Climate Crisis. It had a "Living in the Apocalypse tone" to it.

Here's a bit of inspiration I enjoyed reading...



Joy Harjo: 23rd Poet Laureate of the United States from 2019-2022 and is winner of Yale's 2023 Bollingen Prize for American Poetry




There are many interviews, but mainly essays. And photos and paintings. All things art. Arranged on different grades of archival papers. Sewn visibly into folios.  Dr. Martin Shaw is a myth story teller in England, who I've come to love!


Anything Robin Wall Kimmerer has written makes me stop and turn 180 degrees in my life!



Cover for Vol. 4, Shifting Landscapes

Binding of Vol. 4

Cover of Vol. 3, Living with the Unknown






Inupiaq subsistence hunters scout an enormous crack at the edge of the thinning sea ice. Photo by Kiliii Yuyan


No more quotes today!



10 comments:

  1. That last photo is amazing, I would be scared to look for a crack in the ice. Take care, have a great day and happy new week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the indigenous people would know what their limitations are, as well as be aware of climate changes infringing upon their normal territories to hunt and fish. Not me either, thank heavens...to look closer.

      Delete
  2. ...the covers grab your attention.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some of the art is very hard to understand, like where permafrost has undermined forests, or where seashores have retreated, or where rivers are polluted. I think I prefer reading most of the essays.

      Delete
  3. That Joy Harbor poem...I had my students read it at one of my last writing workshops. We stood in a circle, and took turns reading one line at a time. It was a powerful way to end the week together, and a memory I cherish. Thank you for reminding me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I've shared Joy Harjo's poem before. That's a great way to share it with students who are wanting to be authors or poets. I have some good memories of different groups and classes that I've either led or attended also. That seems to keep coming up to my attention today.

      Delete
  4. Sounds like some good reading in those magazines. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I seldom just sit down to read...usually am doing a breathing treatment at the same time. But that means waiting till the next day to read the rest of an essay or story. The last one in Vol. 3 was so gripping, I did read to the ending because I knew there would be no more in that issue.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. I sure enjoy it, hope sharing a few photos might be interesting.

      Delete

So glad to have your comments...whatever they may be. I'm one who likes to reply sometime or another, so others will see that; or you might happen back sometime and see what conversation might have started.