Black Mountain

Lake Tomahawk, May 8, 2024

Tuesday, September 5, 2023

Moldy life

  

This may be sideways, but there's no good way to look at it. My living room ac wall unit gave me this gift Sunday morning. I had been running it at 70 degrees, so supposedly it would dehumidify the largest area in the apartment...so it usually cut on a couple of times during the night, and in the evening, even though it was down to the 50s at night.

How it just blossomed so much mold on Sunday when I was opening the nearby windows because it was after all 63 outside!! It must have been off for maybe 8 hours...

So I unplugged it, and I pushed myself to figure out how to spray something into the guts of the machine, as there's that grill like thing behind the louvers. (looked up mold removal techniques, various solutions (literally liquids sprayed into it)) I looked up using bleach solutions, or vinegar...but decided to start with this detergent based one first.

I sprayed Lysol kitchen cleaner in there. Let it sit about 15 minutes, then with a rag on my index finger, swabbed these surfaces with warm soapy water. The rag went into the trash, and water was changed a few times.

 I did wear an N-95 mask for the awful cleanup job above. But I really don't have enough lung power to breathe in it any more. Geese, wonder why.

Then I let it sit for a couple of hours, hoping the Lysol on the innerds would do something.

And turned it on AC and constant fan for a couple of hours. I checked to see if any more little black things showed up. As of Mon when I write this, I have conquered one mold source. Actually I also did the window sills, including the sliding window tracks, which are vinyl clad with all kinds of cracks. More rags, spray, wipe down. let dry!

Then I was sweeping the front porch and the vinyl clad screen/storm door frame had the tailtell grey specks all along it, where I enter the apartment sometimes brushing against it. After brooming it and finding little results, this time I tried vinegar straight. Again, those cracks where it's got lots of bends were full of black stuff. I tried using lots of wetness in the rag of vinegar.

How do I live here, I sometimes wonder.

And the good news...I am going to let the plants outside die back in their natural ways. I'll keep deadheading the geranium. But the basil and mint may just lose their leaves and I will water them occasionally. Time for fall.

I think the sad little never-repotted orchid may also go to the trash. I'll overwinter the lavendar, which is looking very good for its first year. Maybe next year we'll have flowers!



12 comments:

  1. Like I have said before..there is the root of your lung problems...

    ReplyDelete
  2. The mold is not good for your health. Take care, have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know what to do, whether to run the ac, heat, or leave the whole thing off and open windows.

      Delete
  3. ...mold is nothing to mess with.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad you wore a mask when you cleaned that black mold. That can be some dangerous stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And here it is 2 days later, and I had trouble breathing last night. Hope to confront this problem directly with maintenance helping.

      Delete
  5. Yuck and work. Should you just bite the bullet and purchase a new unit?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Number one, I rent. Number two, it's a senior apartment complex with rent based on income, so there's nothing else within at least 50 miles that can beat the price. Number three, I'm mobile. Today I spent the hot part of the day in a local grocery which had a Starbucks, so there were tables and chairs for me to enjoy a long coffee and someone else's air conditioning. I will be able to open windows probably by 10 pm when it finally cools down for the night. I hope the maintenance guy looked at it while I was out drinking espresso. If not he might tomorrow.There's a small possibility the manager will give me a new unit!

      Delete
  6. Oh boy, what a hassle, and a worry. I do hope you can get it resolved, Barb.

    ReplyDelete

So glad to have your comments...whatever they may be. I'm one who likes to reply sometime or another, so others will see that; or you might happen back sometime and see what conversation might have started.